Question about Spectrapure MPRO 25 and filter media

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

"waste" water seems not very accurate a term, I assume its just the water that is rejected from the tap with the TDsolids still in that water, the same water we aer already drinking (if not tapping from RO pre DI for drinking).

So unless the filtration process "ADDS" something to the water that is "wasted" why cant it be used for any other use in house? I found a thread that some use it for thier FW aquariums, which I am considering. as well as laundry dishes pets etc...

If you have a toilet near your ro the easiest is a rodi powered toilet. The hook up is simple and allows manual use when you need it.

Don

Hmm toilet water is a good idea, definately a text book "waste water" LOL

Yup, and if you connect it properly with a dual membrane system you will make about one gallon of clean rodi water evertime someone uses the toilet.

Don

smart idea, not condusive to my current residence and location of RO and bathrooms, but when we move next year, I will look into this concept :)

Thanks for the discussion here guys, especially don. I ended up ordering a system from the filter guys. Talked to jim a bit on the phone and he really seemed to know what was going on.

Here is what I ended up getting. About 1.25 gal waste per gallon of water.

$265.00 - OCEAN REEF MISER SIX STAGE RO/DI 150 GPD

* All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
* Stage One NSF rated 5 micron poly sediment filter
* Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO/2 carbon block filter
* Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated +1Chlorine Guzzler carbon block
* Two Dow FilmTec RO membranes 75 GPD each
* Stage Six Full size DI housing with refillable cartridge
* Auto Shutoff valve (Requires Float Valve or Switch To Work)
* Membrane flush valve
* Pressure Gauge
* Quick connect fittings
* 1/4" Garden Hose Adaptor
* Drain Connection
* Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy

That seems like a great ratio for that kind of coin Rob. I will be curious if it is a true number once you get it. We were thinking it was just too wasteful to use a home unit since we don't have a wash machine we can use it in and the weather isn't hot enough around here for more than 3 or 4 months of the year to use it in the yard. We were going to continue buying the water from an industrial machine but if this is accurate we may entertain a unit like this. When do you get it?

hey don, was wondering if you might be able to answer a couple of questions.

I just got my ocean reef miser dual membrane unit. It looks pretty sweet. Wondering about a couple of things though:

1. Auto Shut Off - I just attach to something like a toilet float valve (all mechanical), and it senses the back pressure and stops flow. Is that correct?

2. I have the unit in my basement on a table. I was trying to think of something to do with the waste water, and am thinking about running a drain line to the first floor toilet (about 8 feet above the unit.) Will that work? Or is it too much head pressure on the drain line?

I've also shot these questions to the filter guys, but thought I'd see what you had to say.

Thanks!
rob

Rob, Im following along, im curious about the toilet thing.

for now I am running my waste into a 55G plastic drum. from there. Im going to use for laundry washer, watering flower beds, and I hear some use in FW tanks for WC. so I may do that with my cichlid tank.

nice. I ran a cichlid tank for awhile. Until the 3rd round of genocide, where my original fish decided to kill all 6 of his tank mates. Awesome fish.

I was thinking about laundry too. Trying to come up with the simplest solution. I Have a shelf above my washer, so was thinking I could put a pump on to pump the water to above the washer, then I could hook it to the washer fill and let gravity feed it to the system. But, would need a float switch, etc. so I didn't overfill the reservoir above the washer, or I'd have to manually fill.

Since the toilet already has a float valve, it seems like a really easy way to use the water, if the system can handle pumping the water up 8 feet. Its a very small line on the drain, so I think it should work, but I don't want to cause backups on the RODI unit because of this.

If the pump can handle it though, I'd just run a line up, poke it through the drywall, and attach it to the float switch already in the toilet. Would hardly take any work, and no parts. Seems simple. I have a small toilet with a hlf gallon to 1 gallon flush, so would work perfect for my downstairs toilet I'm thinking.

Still need more info though.

I have not begun to think about perm plumbing solutions....manual here LOL but we are in a rental house for now, with hopes to buy in next year or 2 ( why I am not doing a big build ) LOL
so I follow this thread, so I am informed then :)

though I may pick up a good used pump so I can stream line a little of my waster water reuse :)

guys,i want to connect my canister filter output to sump and pump it back to the main tank.is that a good idea..?

good idea

Great idea to use somthing like it
Hey guys, I have a used Spectrapro MPRO-25 that I'm thinking about starting to use.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_line_p3.htm

I was wondering on the water quality of this filter and what kind of filtration I should use for seattle water. I'm assuming its ok to hook up to my house water feed (copper pipe.)

It has 2 canisters in the main unit, and a 3rd canister that is attached via plastic hose. Is this third separate filter a pre or post filter? I just id'd the model and I'm going to try to hunt down a manual now.

Anyway, I was talking to thefilterguys.com, but wanted to get your read on what is a good filter combination for seattle city water, and if this filter is up to the task of my 18 gallon/week water change schedule.

Up to now I've been using a $5k 5 stage, 400 GPD lab filter i picked up free from a lab that went under, but it says I need to replace the filters, and I have consumed the stockpile I initially acquired. I'm afraid the replacement filter cost is going to be crazy (proprietary, have to order them from the german company called millipore). Also its made to hook up to a DI water feed, and the filter life on my house water is about 3 months. Seems I need to test out another more standardized filtration method...

rob

I would contact the filter guys and ask them what they think.

Its not going to be able to put out much pressure, so it would have to be on the same level as your sump. Depending on the filter, it might have an auto shut off valve. A float switch would work to activate this valve.

If you need to go up a storyto reach the sump, you're better off putting the water to a reservoir, then having a pump in there controlled by a switch in the sump (standard ATO setup.)

Back