Question on Kevin's ozone reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kinerson

Hi Kevin,

I was looking back at previous threads and came across one on 6/11/07 called "ozone use..."

I have toyed with ozone for a couple years but never really settled in on the whole thing. In the past I have used one of my skimmers as a "sacrificial skimmer" as it wasn't rated for ozone. I was always afraid that the carbon on the outflow wasn't catching all the residual ozone. But your method interests me. Is the basic idea that the ozone is being pulled into the poly tubing and traveling the entire length of the tubing which basically creates a very long contact time? This contact time both maximizes the ozones ability to oxidize the water as well as helps to ensure that there is very little if any ozone that escapes into your tank? What about the byproducts created? Do you still run it threw carbon?

The one thing I don't really like is the fact that your pump is a mag 18. I'm constantly trying to reduce my electricity consumption. Can you accomplish this with a lower wattage pump? Perhaps by laying the tubing horizontal instaed of vertical and feed with a maxi 1200? Any options?

Thanks,
Greg

Hello Greg,
excess ozone can easily be detected by smell. I do not run the water coming out of the poly tubing through carbon. The 100' provides plenty of contact time. A smaller pump such as a Mag 9.5 would work just as well. A high pressure pump is what is needed rather than high flow. The trick is to create high velocity past the venturi to create the vacuum to draw the ozone from the generator. On my home tank I use an air pump pushing the ozone through the generator along with the suction of the air from the skimmer venturi.

I haven't tried it but I don't think a maxi-jet will pump 100' let alone create a venturi with 100' of water length in front of it.

Regards,
Kevin

What about byproducts created from the ozone (borate or something???), do these things need to be removed with carbon?

Thanks,
Greg

I have never had any problems using ozone and having it escape or cause any buildup. (I do perform water changes every 3-4 weeks).

Regards,
Kevin

Good to know. Just curious, what kind of salt do you use and how big are your water changes?

Back