Question re: brain

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

muss60

We recently purchased a red-green brain; it's doing very well (water perameters good)... it looks like it's starting to split right down the middle. I searched all kinds of sites and can't find anything on this subject - do brains 'split' like mushrooms? It looks like it's going to do just that, but I'm worried it might be a sign of illness if they don't typically split.

Thoughts or comments are appreciated.

You need to elaborate on what type of coral it is. There are a lot of LPS that get the generic "brain" name. Perhaps a picture would help.

Lobophyllia spp. and Trachyphyllia radiata may start to split when they put on more heads. These are the only 2 that I know of that do this. I'd be concerned if any other brain coral started splitting. A pic would definitely help.

Seems to be like I recently read some information about Favia and Favites that looked to be splitting. It was, in fact, a disease. I saw it in one of my books. I'll look through them and find out what it was. It appeared as a yellow or golden band, completely around the coral. As I said, I'll find it and get back to you.

I apologize for not being on here the past few days; had a wedding in the family; will try to get a picture downloaded (I thought I was technically inclined until I tried to post a picture before and it was too large); will play around with it and get a picture posted soon.
thank you!

Back