question regarding Powerhead

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bubble puffer

I am planning to install a MaxiJet Powerhead on a tank with surface area of 20" by 12" to create a wave that clear the water surface. Should I get the Maxijet 900 or 600. I tried the spare Maxi 1200 and create a storm inside the tank when the wave hit the tank wall and move the wave down under the water..

Maxi 1200 = 295GPH
Maxi 900 = 230GPH
Maxi 600 = 160 GPH

Hmm...Did you try it with the wide nozzle attachment on the 1200? If so, how low was the powerhead from the surface? You may be able to get away with what you have by just lowering it. Just a thought...:)

I tried to lower it and it didn't do much help.. just create a volcano effect on the water surface... well the little clown fish seem like enjoying the wave but my little baby Porcupine that I temporary kept in there seem having problem with the wave under the water.... My puffer doesn't seem know how to properly swim.. body too wide and fat :(

I do have a skimmer in there but still there is lot of surface garbage and I didn't install the surface skimmnig box for the Aquac Remora because it already took a big junk out of the tank space.. so I am thinking install a powerhead for the wave on the surface to clear the surface garbage

Ahh...Well, for the price of maxi jets (both under $20 bucks) I'd give the 600 a try. With the 900 only being 60 gph less than the 1200, you may have the same problem using the 900 if lowering the 1200 still didn't help. Too bad you can't restrict the output on the 1200 just to see how much less flow you'd need to be fine. But if the 1200 is way too much, then the 600 may be the way to go. I know people use air-stones wth an air pump to create their surface aggitation, so really, it doesn't take a whole lot. HTH:)

Back