Question With Cycling A New Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I agree with Scooty...Using un-filtered tap water for starters in itself can cause tons of issues for you down the road like nuicance algae for example, not to mention death to livestock if certain levels like nitrates etc get too high which is why people suggest using ro/di water. The fact that the tank was just setup 9 days ago also means no livestock should have been added just yet. The tank will need to cycle. As ammonia is eventually produced from die-off in the rock, from rotting un-eaten food, fish waste etc and the nitrogen cycle really kicks in, it will be a whole new ball game which is why it is suggested to wait atleast 6-8weeks before adding any livestock to the tank, as these changes as well as the cycle itself etc doesn't take place over night. Just a thought...:)

Don't count your eggs just yet, you already lost a fish!
this is a bad practice & a bad way to get started in reefing.

well i expected the fish to die as I was hoping it would help seed the tank. Only thing I've had problems with is brown algae with bubbles on the bottom, but that quickly went away when i got more light and improved water flow with powerheads. all my coral and anemones have been growing like crazy just in the 5 days ive had them in the tank. To help get my biofilter going ive been using live sand, live rock, and a Stability mix. I've been checking all my water levels and they are doing good so far, but like anything **** can go to hell in a hand basket quickly.

for the record book i know that its bad practice for a new tank, but im just impressed on how its working out so far.

Why are you adding stability mix? It isn't good practice to use such additives, also what name brand test kits are you using? How is your ALK, CA, MG?
I'm not saying a tank can be started quick but not for newbies, in time you'll understand why. Show us some pictures & BTW welcome to RF! :D

the type of test kit im using is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Brand called the "SaltWater Master Liquid Test Kit".

it tests the following:
  • High Range pH
  • Ammonia (NH3 / NH4)
  • Nitrite (NO2-)
  • Nitrate (NO3-)

I've also attached some images.. There is not much to look at but then again i am poor and just started my tank..

i159765_1000697.JPG

and another:
i159769_1000696.JPG

for some reason when i take pictures on the sand side of the tank they come out darker.

Last edited:
Just my thought on this, but i used to use AP too and it tested my tank out PERFECT. Then i got the ELOS from barrier reef (awsome test kit:D) and it said my nitrates were 65 :shock: but luckily i have been in it long enough to quickly bring the levels down. DONT trust AP...

-augustus

Garf recommends taking water from mature tanks and makes it a regular practice. I have never done it but appearantly is does no harm. But from Garf thats another story.

Yikes, anemone after 5 days?? "Growing like crazy?" Are you sure they aren't just WIDE open to search for non-existent food or looking for light? Very dangerous practice. I wish you the best of luck. Most don't recommend an anemone until AT LEAST 6 months and a year is better! You need a VERY mature tank to conscientiously keep the animals you're referring to. I'd recommend you do some research on this forum and others that deal with successfully setting up a new reef tank. Also, do a lot of reading. "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a great book!!! See if your local library has it or can get it for you.

Yikes, anemone after 5 days?? "Growing like crazy?" Are you sure they aren't just WIDE open to search for non-existent food or looking for light? Very dangerous practice. I wish you the best of luck. Most don't recommend an anemone until AT LEAST 6 months and a year is better! You need a VERY mature tank to conscientiously keep the animals you're referring to. I'd recommend you do some research on this forum and others that deal with successfully setting up a new reef tank. Also, do a lot of reading. "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a great book!!! See if your local library has it or can get it for you.

Can't agree more & yes that was opened up after 5 days it didn't grow that much :D

One thing about sharing water from other tanks, you can get what they have so be cautious of that!

sharing water

When I tore down Bob's tank and set it up later at my place, I saved the water. Roughly 150 gallons, stored in food safe barrels. Not heated, but sealed. When it was time to set up the tank again (5 months later), I opted to use that water and another 100 gallons of freshly made up water using Tropic Marin. Was going to let the tank cycle with the live rock (12 years in the prior system) held in a sump during the holding period) for 2 months prior to adding animals, but all test were great after 3 weeks (Salifert kits).

I figured any parasites in the water would have expired from the cold, and the lack of hosts, thus ending the cycle. With the stability of the system prior to teardown, I think I will be ok :)

Using common sense precautions, I would feel comfortable suggesting the use of existing water to help cycle a tank.

Stagnate water can grow lots of nasties, even if you had a ph on it with no heat etc, mold, mildew, you were lucky I guess!:lol: Good thing it was sealed well, that is probably the only reason why it worked, no air!

When I tore down Bob's tank and set it up later at my place, I saved the water. Roughly 150 gallons, stored in food safe barrels. Not heated, but sealed. When it was time to set up the tank again (5 months later), I opted to use that water and another 100 gallons of freshly made up water using Tropic Marin. Was going to let the tank cycle with the live rock (12 years in the prior system) held in a sump during the holding period) for 2 months prior to adding animals, but all test were great after 3 weeks (Salifert kits).

I figured any parasites in the water would have expired from the cold, and the lack of hosts, thus ending the cycle. With the stability of the system prior to teardown, I think I will be ok :)

Using common sense precautions, I would feel comfortable suggesting the use of existing water to help cycle a tank.

I agree that the monthy figure is just arbitrary. Mine has cylced in 2 weeks. I think it all depends on quality of live rock (Hu there you Don my premium rock from the barrier reef!!!)

I agree that the monthy figure is just arbitrary. Mine has cylced in 2 weeks. I think it all depends on quality of live rock (Hu there you Don my premium rock from the barrier reef!!!)

Tanks cycle continually according to bioload but at some point your tank will equalize somewhat but still cycles accordingly! Two weeks is fast & yes with not sb it can be fine but tanks usually take about a year or more, to really mature once you've established livestock!

Mine took almost a year to mature and drop off all traces of nitrates. The initial cycle didn't take all that long...Maybe 6 weeks, but it does depend on the quality of live rock (ie how much die-off you get) :)

Back