Questions About "Fin Rot"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shealygg

My first question here on RF!

Yesterday, I noticed what I would call "fin rot" on my Purple Tang (severe) and have noticed it less severe on my blue throat trigger. On the PT, it is most severe on his dorsal (top) fin and on his tail. Does not appear to be "nips" from other fish as it appears that the top fin is "separating". On the trigger, it appears to be more of a "nip" shape on his upper and lower fins, although I have not seen much aggression towards him from the other fish.

I know that there are lots of variables possibly involved here and I don't have water params etc available right now. I guess I'm just looking for some starting ideas as to cause, cure, etc. I can post more details once I get home tonight and test water, etc. My first plan is to do a ~20% water change tonight (125g reef tank).

Thanks in advance.
Greg

Usually fin problems and most other health issues with fish are caused by water quality issues. Test kits are the place to start. High nitrates are sometimes the culprit.

Thanks....I'm planning a 20% water change tonight and current tests of water params. I'll post them once complete. Any other opinions?

Back