Questions about Phosban Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The media is barely moving, I only see a could grains move every now and then. I'm using a 100 gph PH and have the PH sitting on the bottom of the sump (12"). I think the phosguard is just too heavey, I'll see if I can get some phosban and give it a shot. Thanks for checking on that for me.

No problem. The whole top of the phosphate media should show agitation. I've noticed with mine, I like to get it to churn slightly once and a while to mix up the stuff. Hope you get it sorted out.

Keep in mind many people have had SPS RTN issues when changing media on their Phosban or Rowaphos reactors. At this point in time, no one really knows why or what is causing the RTN issues. One theory is that the new media causes a major drop in the tank Alkalinity which seriously stresses out some corals. Many people, myself included, run the new media at a very slow rate for the first couple of days so the reacotr flow through is pretty slow. This is done to minimize the volume of water running through the reactor which should minimize the alk drop. Its worked for me so far...

Just a suggestion.

Nick

I agree with what Maxx is saying even though I don't have any corals. If you look at the picture of my phosban reactor a few posts back my flow in almost non-existant. I turn it up maybe once a week for about 5 seconds just to churn it up a bit because I've noticed before, that junk settles in there brought into the reactor via the sump. By doing this, it is sometimes released back into the system where mechanical filtration or my skimmer will get another shot at removing it.

It's a screen name I used back in high school and it sorta stuck with me. I actually hate the name (and my wife still makes fun of me for it) but too late to change now :)

Back