Questions about tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BonnieC

I am researching trying to decide what I want. Im really drawn to the shallow tanks. Especially the 30x30x12. Would a regal tang work in a shallow tank like that or would I need to go up to 16 inches tall? Otherwise....

Im torn between buying and AIO tank or doing it myself. Im new and very lost on jargon. I do like the Neo Nano tanks but someone told me the stands were terrible. Someone also recommended I do it myself so that I can learn, but I am having information overload! lol

Where would I be able to have custom glass done for an aquarium? The only place I have found is glass cages but I keep seeing a lot of bad reviews about their tanks leaking.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. While I do not have answers to your questions, someone should chime in shortly who can help you out. A lot of great info on this site. Good luck with your build!

rob

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! :D

IMO a 46 gallon tank is too small for a regal tang. They like to swim a lot. IMO they should be in at least a 75 gallon tank if not larger. Also depending on how many other fish you'd like to have will decide on tank size too.

As for custom sized glass tanks, no one in the area that I know of that is unless you're willing to DIY a glass tank. Glass Cages are a hit/miss from what I've read. IMO I'd just get an All Glass/Aqeon tank.

And for the AIO I would recommend a seperate sump for a larger tank size. AIO are great for smaller sized tanks, say under 30 gallons maybe.

And I'd do a DIY stand unless you do not have the tools to do it with. There is a good resourse on another forum with lots andlots of stand builds and the such. Really simple designs to wild. I can PM you the link if you'd like.

Cheers,
Alex

Do the make a shallow build? Not seeing it on the site.

Not in the larger sized ones. If you want a smaller sized nano tank that is shallow try a 20 long. You could do like a lot of people do and get a 40 breeder. Nice shallow sized tank but I wouldn't put a regal tang in there.

For the larger 4 foot tanks try a 75E tank or for a 6 foot long tank you might try a 125.

Any reason for wanting a shallow tank? Just curious.

I just like the look of them a lot. They are very interesting. Plus I want corals and definately clams (LOVE clams, lol). I seem to like the corals over the fish so I know these are good tanks for that.

The regal tang would have been nice but I'll let that one go. The only fish Im really wanting are a couple clowns, a cleaner goby, and a mandarin eventually.

Also, and this is so lame I know so please get your laughs in now, is that my arms aren't that long. It sure would make moving things around a lot easier! :D

As for clams. They don't need a shallow tank depending on the type of lighting that your tank will have. I have a 24 inch deep tank and clams will do just fine with the lighting I have (dual 175W MH / 3-39W T5HO).

Cheers,
Alex

For corals and clams, a shallow tank will actually be a benefit. Shallow tanks are easier to light. Less intense lighting is needed to penetrate to the bottom. Less money has to be spent on lighting, for a shallow tank.

Shallow tanks are also usually wider than their standard equivalent. For instance, a 40 breeder is wider than a standard 40. This allows for more surface area, which allows better water/oxygen mix. Better oxygenated water is better for the tank inhabitants.

One disadvantage of shallow tanks is that there's less room for vertical aquascaping and vertical placement of corals. Given a choice, I'd always take a shallow tank, over it's standard counterpart.

For corals and clams, a shallow tank will actually be a benefit. Shallow tanks are easier to light. Less intense lighting is needed to penetrate to the bottom. Less money has to be spent on lighting, for a shallow tank.

Shallow tanks are also usually wider than their standard equivalent. For instance, a 40 breeder is wider than a standard 40. This allows for more surface area, which allows better water/oxygen mix. Better oxygenated water is better for the tank inhabitants.

Yeah, that's what I was reading. Plus for some reason, I just love the look. The tank will be next to our couch so I like a low stand anyway. But with this, wed be able to stand up easily and overlook too. They just look so cool. Im not sure why I like them, I just do. Plus it seems like they are good for everything I want.

The only thing I can't get is the "Dori" fish. But regardless, I am not going to a 75g due to space so I'll just not get that fish.

I'll go check out some of these other tanks that ya'll linked.

So far, I am really leaning towards the Neo Nano tank. I called them today and asked them some questions. I've heard the stand isn't the best quality (though I think it looks nice enough). If I use their stand, they guarantee the tank for 7 years against leaks. (Glass cages only does 90 days.) But their sump dosn't have a refugim so I don't know if I could modify it or if I would have to custom make one (neither of which I have any clue how to do).

Here's the dimensions:

Tank:
•24.5" x 24.5" x 14"
•Dual 3" x 3" overflow boxes
•2 1" bulkhead drains
•“Cascade" return system

Stand
•25" x 25" x 32"

Sump
•18.5" x 18.5" x 18"

Last edited:
Make sure you have enough room under your stand for the protein skimmer. You might want to figure out what you are going to put on the system now so you can be sure it will both fight hightwise under the tank, and will also fit in the sump 'fill' chamber of your sump, as you'll want to have the skimmer before the bubble walls.

I have a SWC skimmer, the SWC 160 cone, and i am very happy with it. The skimmer will say how deep in the water you can put it. For instance, the one I have wants to be in 9" of water, so I had to build a little stand for it to sit on that was 6" tall. All in all the top of the skimmer is around 25" from the top of the floor of the stand, which would be over 30" from the floor of the room.

Something like this might work well, if your sump/stand can hold it. There are others on here who are very knowledgeable about skimmers if you ask about them.

http://saltwaterconnection.com/inde...id=115&zenid=tbcvrrqpnkbfuh8glh7op2u5bvu28j1v

rob

Make sure you have enough room under your stand for the protein skimmer. You might want to figure out what you are going to put on the system now so you can be sure it will both fight hightwise under the tank, and will also fit in the sump 'fill' chamber of your sump, as you'll want to have the skimmer before the bubble walls.

I have a SWC skimmer, the SWC 160 cone, and i am very happy with it. The skimmer will say how deep in the water you can put it. For instance, the one I have wants to be in 9" of water, so I had to build a little stand for it to sit on that was 6" tall. All in all the top of the skimmer is around 25" from the top of the floor of the stand, which would be over 30" from the floor of the room.

Something like this might work well, if your sump/stand can hold it. There are others on here who are very knowledgeable about skimmers if you ask about them.

http://saltwaterconnection.com/inde...id=115&zenid=tbcvrrqpnkbfuh8glh7op2u5bvu28j1v

rob

Very good advice! Do all of your planning before you commit to tank, stand, etc. If you are going to have plumbing, especially skimmer underneath you can't go as low as you might want. Also make sure you plan for as much access under your display so you can install and maintain various equipment underneath. This seems like a no brainer but even with a good plan it seems it isn't as easy to pull off in reality.

Thanks, I just found someone online who has one of these tanks. So I asked him what all he has for it. Ill report back. Thanks for helping a newbie, you guys are awesome!

I would look for blackberry on here.... she has one of those tanks nice tanks I might add! great for clams and corals just when the coral grow out you will need to trim them down. no a big problem.

Cube style tanks give you the depth 'feel' that is usually missing in most reef aquariums. It boils down to personal preference and oh yeah, space and money constraints that get in the way too!

Ooooh Ill go look for her. Would definately love to talk to someone who has one of those tanks. Im very excited about it!

So I am researching the fish I am wanting to eventually keep, they are 2 clowns, 2 mandarins, and a cleaner goby. And then of course corals and clams.

Would I be able to keep a pipefish with those? Man those things are freaking cool!

I have a post where I discussed keeping 2 mandrins in my system, and it was decided that even once the aquarium is well established, I would not have the food supply to keep 2 alive. I would think your tank design could hold one mandrin at the most, that is unless you get it trained onto frozen food, which you would probably have to do in a quarantine tank (info on how to do this on the web)

ORA is going to start selling mandrins that are already trained onto frozen food. Maybe in july or so? Not sure what they will charge for these guys though

rob

Back