Questions about wavemakers....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fusch13

Question about wave makers....

Hi all.....Posted a few times, but been reading a lot. I am not new to the saltwater tank scene, been around 5 yrs, but had a tank die-off which put me into 6 mo shock....Well, im back, adding some new equipment tomorrow (ASM g4+, Blue line calcium reactor, & Kent Marine Phosphate reactor). I am very excited about getting my reef tank up and running again. The question i have is i currently have three maxijet pumps (2 1200's & 1 900). I do not have them on a wavemaker as of yet. Ive been doing a lot of reading on different products on the market..redsea, wavysea...any recommendations? Personal accounts? any help would be great...

Thanks

Hobby Experience: 5 YRS SALTWATER, 15 YRS FRESHWATER
Current Tanks: 94 GALLON CORNER, TIDEPOOL 2 MODIFIED, ASM G4+ SKIMMER, BLUE-LINE CR-2 CALCIUM REACTOR, KENT MARINE PHOSBAN REACTOR, MAG 9 PUMP, 45 LBS OF ROCK, FINE SAND SUBSTRATE, 2 250watt hamilton 10000k halide bulbs w/ 2 90 watt vho actinic bulbs

If you want a wavemaker, the Red Sea works fine. I think you made some good choices for equipment , but I think your going to be a few thousand gallons per hour shy as far as flow goes.

Don

"but I think your going to be a few thousand gallons per hour shy as far as flow goes."

Don,

What would you recommend to upgrade for maxinum flow in my tank?

Fusch13 said:
What would you recommend to upgrade for maxinum flow in my tank?

I think it all depends on your aquascape design. Maybe a Tunze or two, I'm not the guy to give flow advise. If it were up to me there would be 8 to 10k gph.

Don

As always I'm late to the party.

Fusch13 - With your current 3 phs, you might want to try this DIY MJ stream. It'll definately boost your flow up. If you're not good at diy, there are guys on RC who are selling the shrouds.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14607

100_0122.jpg

And for movement there is the DIY swirl ala Wavysea.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=799971

mini-100_2360.JPG

Last edited:
Fusch13 - I have a 100 gallon tank and am running 4 Maxi Jet 1200's on a Red Sea Wavemaker and two 3/4 inch Seaswirls for the return. It has worked out well so far. I have heard and read about the Wavy Seas and the website claims it is much better than the Sea Swirl, but it also costs about 90 dollars more.

up and running....

Thanks everyone.....I just added my first livestock since my die off when i lost everything.....Added some new equipment and ready to start fresh....i already see a big difference in everything.....a wavemaker is my next piece of equipment, so just trying to get everyone's opinion on things....

Thanks again!~

i'd like to find out where you can find the magnets used to mount the maxijet stream mods?? anyone know?

I heard someone say they used a mag float but i'm not sure that's the best way to go.

Fusch13
First of, welcome back to this beautifull hobby/addiction. How about a close loop? that will keep all powerheads out of the tank leaving space for livestock and water.

Al G.
can you post some details on the DIY swirl, looks nice. How well does it work?

It works well. I made 2. $9 box and $4 motor, scrap acrylic, screws and some 1/2"pvc. I also just bought some RC linkages($10/set of 4) to replace my crappy DIY acrylic ones.

The above picture is not mine. It's taken from the thread on RC. The link to the thread is above the pic.

Here's a link to a vid clip that some else posted. There are more videos on the thread.
http://www.ostrows.us/100_0127.MOV

Zenn..... I read a thread with the maxijet mod a guy used 2 - 1"x3/8" neodynium magnets...they run about $5 at various online places, just google neodynium....very low profile, powerful magnet...great idea i thought...

Little_Luey.....Whats your suggestion on the closed loop, ive read about them, but still a bit cloudy on them...ive seen people actually drill bulkheads into their tank, being this is an established tank and not new, thats sort of out of the question...so any ideas shoot them my way!

The closed loop is a pump with some plumbing to move water inside the tank. Basically you take water out on one side and push it back fron another side. I made mine with a Mag5 and PVC, I also had some plumbing stuff but I guess I show you a picture better. Here is what I have, the black pipes is what I bought, but you could make that from PVC also, on the other end is the return. Since this is a 20gal it did not need to be too complicated, but for my 55gal I am planing on having 3-4 outlets and 2 inlets.

I have also seen this other mod for the powerhead. This causes to pull more water from the oppenings on the PVC much like the other picture. This may be easier to make with a dremel.

Thanks, little luey.....

Your tank looks great....im starting already to see big change with my new equipment, glad i spent the extra and got the calcium reactor...

Fusch13 said:
Zenn..... I read a thread with the maxijet mod a guy used 2 - 1"x3/8" neodynium magnets...they run about $5 at various online places, just google neodynium....very low profile, powerful magnet...great idea i thought...

Little_Luey.....Whats your suggestion on the closed loop, ive read about them, but still a bit cloudy on them...ive seen people actually drill bulkheads into their tank, being this is an established tank and not new, thats sort of out of the question...so any ideas shoot them my way!

Just let me know when i'm asking too many questions:cry:

but, it looks like you encased the magnet in acrylic? I suppose you DIY'ed that yourself?

Also, The neodynium magnets are very powerful....some say 'scarry powerful'...do you see that being a prolem with the magnets inside the maxi-jet powerhead?

the calfo manifold closed loop would work great with a pump and a oceans motion. It would cost a lot less to get the wavysea and a seio or spend more with the stream. I would hook one up from a center island and run it on a 360. I think this along with some powerheads behind rockwork would leave you with no dead spots.

Zenn, this wasnt my design...wish it was, something im thinking of.....but it does look like its encased in something...maybe an epoxy..i do not think the magnet would effect the maxi-jet's magnet, being that the positive/negative sides are not the same...i could be wrong but just going on expierance from playing with magnets....also, in this hobby i dont think you can ask enough questions, ive found

Back