Questions for those new to Reef Frontiers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TJL

copod
For the newer members to this site, not necessarily noobs to the hobby (joining date June 2010 or after )

How did you find or come across the Reef Frontiers web site. Or were you referred by a member or sponsor, if so by whom?

Do you follow or are you a member to other sites? In your opinion how are we doing overall, is there something missing in content you'd like to see?

Todd

okay, i joined a few months before June 2010, but will provdie my experience. I was in Denny's pet store in Kirkland looking at the saltwater stuff, about to make the leap to start my first saltwater tank, i started talking to a fellow patron in the store, in trying to absorb some knowledge from his years in the hobby, he said I must go to reeffrontiers. Up to that point I was looking on reef central and nano-reef, so happy I found this resource!

Appreciate your response, and thank you or my apologies if it was I who was at Dennys that day ...lol

Is there anything missing or something you'd like to see more of on the site?

Todd

okay, i joined a few months before June 2010, but will provdie my experience. I was in Denny's pet store in Kirkland looking at the saltwater stuff, about to make the leap to start my first saltwater tank, i started talking to a fellow patron in the store, in trying to absorb some knowledge from his years in the hobby, he said I must go to reeffrontiers. Up to that point I was looking on reef central and nano-reef, so happy I found this resource!

Ditto but in Feb 2011, no clue who it was I forgot his name but remembered the forum.

I'll throw something in here for you Todd. My friend Justin signed up here because I told him about this forum. He bought my 10gal nano that I did that DIY build on before I could even get water in it and wanted a forum to go to. He said he really liked it here. With moving though into a new house and so forth he hardly logs in here and then he has me in person to nag so he just calls me when he has a problem. All in all though, his impression of RF was a good one which was what I liked. :)

We (my husband and I) joined because a friend (Inconservatory) suggested we take a look. Found a lot of help here. Got a little discouraged at a few negative remarks, so we haven't been posting much. But as Krish pointed out in his recent post about the helpful direction the site is taking, we are starting to feel more comfortable asking questions without fear of reprimand.

We do belong to two other sites, as well, but not due to a "lack" of anything here. It's mostly so we can get a lot of opinions and suggestions on any questions we may have. It's nice to have a big pool of ideas :) Not sure what I could suggest for this particular site. One thing I notice on other sites is that they do photo contests each month. Maybe RF could implement something like it? And if they have, I haven't noticed yet (Like I said, not a big poster recently).

Hey Shawna, thanks for your input and Jhustin is also a friend of mine. Please feel free to post any questions/comments/ experiences you may have on anything reef related here without judgement. You can also contact me personally if needed. It's nice to have you involved both here and with North Sound Reefers. Contests you say! That just happens to be in discussion. shhhh.

Cheers, Todd

Umm Todd... I think you know how we ended up here. And for those of you who don't know, we were the proverbial victims of a casual "come on in and see my tank" gesture by Todd when were we simply buying a stand from him for our freshwater tank. As the say... the rest is history. Now we have 3 saltwater tanks up and running in the house with a 180 looming in the dining room begging to get wet some day soon. Most times we praise you for introducing us to this hobby but there have been a few curses as well but they are far outweighed everytime we look into one of the tanks :D

Last edited:
I was informed of this fine site when I was at BR. I am glad I took there advise. I feel right at home here. I was welcomed as I was a past friend.
I will think about what I would like to see different here at RF. For now it is a great site to get info and most of all a helping hand from local members when one is in need of help. Weather it is no here or at your home.

I was trying to hack into random forums.......errr wait no that's the other one.

I was referred here by a member that worked at Petsmart when I first started. I was really intimidated about posting because everyone seemed so smart and I knew NOTHING. I have learned a ton. I would love to see a TOTM come back and some contests.

I miss the old site seemed to be more popular back then. Feels like things are slowing down with all the O we're working on the site to make it better lines. I'm sure it will get better just quit tweaking it please! A red sea referred me here.

Last edited:
I was trying to hack into random forums.......errr wait no that's the other one.

I was referred here by a member that worked at Petsmart when I first started. I was really intimidated about posting because everyone seemed so smart and I knew NOTHING. I have learned a ton. I would love to see a TOTM come back and some contests.

Seth, some really good things are in the works. Hopefully we can kick things off starting this month (that is the plan atleast). We have a few great ideas already jotted down and have taken into consideration everything suggested by the members. We want to start doing things (maybe a few different things) on a regular basis to keep it interesting here. So hang around!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I responded to a guy on craigslist giving away his clown fish about 6 months ago. I guess he had been trying to pair it with another false perc, but it has a bit of trouble with the missus of the tank. When I came in to pick up the clown fish he told me he had gotten a bunch of free corals from some other reefers on here along with a lot of free knowledge, he was trying to pay that forward.

Seemed like a pretty good place for me to be.

Back