quick question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklight2ooo

I have a 12 gallon nano tank. i just bought and installed a protien skimmer.

My question is does it hurt to have it running all day every day or should i just do it for a little while every day?

my tank have very low amounts of life in it right now.

No it will not hurt... what are your inhabitants? On a 12 gallon nano, just doing a regular water change will do without using skimmer. But since you already have one might as well use it. This will add extra flow on your tank and also needed oxygen (air/water surface exchange) in the water specially at night.

alright thats good to know... as of now i only have 3 soft corals that i can tell of. looks like they are spreading a little but yeah 3 corals and 10 pounds of live rock.

Just be religious with your water change.... 10 percent is not much so it should not be a problem... you can also make a new mix like in a 20 gallon container... drop a small pump in there... close it with a lid... then there you go... you will just need a pitcher to do water change... anytime you want.

have fun... any pics?

oxygen (air/water surface exchange)

skimmer here 24/7

on both the 40 and the 5.5's(2)

the small tanks need the skimmer i say..... just for the air.

I also have air pump on a timer to the Hob aqua clear on the SPS tank. its set to run every other half hour for a half hour.

keeps the water nice and clean.....

what kind of skimmer did u get by chance?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18491/si1381790/cl0/currentusafissionnanoskimmer

Well that all seems very well, i have been doing water changes, But i ran into another problem, my soft coral is kind of looking wimpy latly, i have a mushroom and a feather duster type. the mushroom is doing great, the feather duster is limping to the side a lot and is often curled up. is this normal? i cant tell if it is getting discolored... ill try to get some pictures but my camra has been acting weird latly. plus ill get my water tested.

24/7 as well. Simply because most systems are setup that way I believe. Ideally, we wouldn't want to skim out anything more than necessary at any given moment, but who wants to be that particular. Rhetorical...

Back