Quick question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

Is there anyway I can remove the purple stuff
cause is covering the whole piece and I don't want it there
do I cut it? if yes how?

Yeah you can just scrape it off. It's xenia....but is it the zoa's you are trying to protect? If you don't care about those just toss the rock in your sump....if the Xenia thrives it will just assist in nutrient removal and nitrate reduction in my experience.

I'm not really trying to protect the Zoa's they are doing fine
I just want the xenia off cause I rather see the zoas in that spot

do I cut the xenia off with a blade or could I just use scissors
I have more xenia on the side of the tank, I'm not really worry about this little chunk

Hmm....good question. Personally I would toss in sump....but I would probably just try to scrape off with razor if I wanted the rock for some reason in display. But do it out of water. You don't want any "stress juice" to drop in your system as that might cause issues.

Hello,
The coral is most likely Anthelia (this can be determined if the polyps are attached together). It can be difficult to remove as they are attached to the rock securely and will out compete most corals. Even a small amount of tissue left behind will quickly regrow. A pair of tweezers will be useful to peel the tissue off.

HTH,
Kevin

It was actually kinda easy to take off the anthelia off the zoas
I use tweezers and scissors. the smell of it was horrible and it tasted even worst lol

thanks for the input guys

Most xenia and clove polyps stink pretty bad. I hate fragging it in my tank but if I didn't it would get out of hand pretty fast

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Yeah the smell was bad but like I said the taste was even worst
I pulling it off and I guess I squeeze the wrong part and it squirted in my mouth I almost threw up
thats something I don't want to try again

Back