Quietest external pump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltybell

bio balls
I am currently runinng a little giant 4-md and it is a little louder than I would like. Any suggestions on external pumps as far as sound? I would also like to get something with a little more flow, like around 1200 or so.
Also if any one has pumps for sale, I would be interested.

We have a Reeflo Wahoo. It's probably way too much for what you're looking for but it is pretty quiet considering it's a large pump. They make smaller ones though. Just my two cents worth!

I agree the Pan World is a pretty good pump, but IMO nothing beats the Poseidon/Velocity pumps.
When I used the P-4 on the 180, I was able to control any heat by using a clip-on fan pointed at the pump.
I use 3 Poseidon pumps on my 240 now.

I will use nothing but my Velocity T4/Poseidon PS4 External Pump. It is completely silent, although it does run a bit hot it isn't enough to heat my tank.

Iwakis can be hit or miss on how quiet they are. Some are relatively noisey while others are quiet. Haven't used the Panworld but I hear good things. Gotta agree with Mike on the Velocity...I put one on a 150 gallon freshwater and it bumped the tank from 78F to 84F in a cool room. I also had two of them seize up after 3 years of use. Love the Sequence Reeflo pumps...dead quiet and designed to be valved down if needed. Very reliable! Just my experiences:)

my iwaki sounds like a shop vac. i dont use it anymore. but like others say its hit or miss with iwaki pumps.

I went from a reeflo Wahoo to an Eheim 1262 (about 900gph) for my 125, I wouldn't change a thing other than maybe getting a slightly more gph.
For a 125g, I'd shoot for 1100gph, this will be easy to keep quite & cool!
For an In room tank like a living room, you want it very quite, I would stick to the Eheim. If I had a fish room or something where sound isn't much of an issue, then that PAnworld for a 125g or Sequence for big tanks.

I agree the Pan World is a pretty good pump, but IMO nothing beats the Poseidon/Velocity pumps.
When I used the P-4 on the 180, I was able to control any heat by using a clip-on fan pointed at the pump.
I use 3 Poseidon pumps on my 240 now.

Thanks Marty, I stand corrected. The good pump downstairs is still your old Poseidon. It was the Pan world that ran quite hot

Last edited:
Back