R/O D/I Filter question!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I'm gonna buy this filter tomorrow! It comes with alot of things!
Do I need anything else or is this a plug and play type deal?? (Besides the float switch)
The $199 one is what I'm getting!

$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
Stage One NSF rated 5 micron poly sediment filter
Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO/2 Workhorse carbon block
Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated chlorine guzzler carbon block
RO membrane 75 GPD Dow Filmtec
Stage Five refillable cartridge with color-changing DI resin
100 PSI pressure gauge
Auto shut-off (Requires Float Valve or Switch To Work)
Membrane flush valve
Dual TDS meter
Quick connect fittings
Self Piercing Saddle Valve Water Supply Connection
Drain Connection
Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

Don't use the 100gpd units, your wasting way more water, not worth it! It is way more efficient to use two 75gpd membranes over a 100gpd unit, If you need that much water, well worth the extra membrane.

Don't use the 100gpd units, your wasting way more water, not worth it! It is way more efficient to use two 75gpd membranes over a 100gpd unit, If you need that much water, well worth the extra membrane.

Hmm. Could you not slow down the water entering though, so that it doesn't produce as much and there would be less wasted because of the slower filteration??? I don't know alot about the RODI's, so I just thought I would ask.

Thanks, (not meant to hijack :p)

-augustus

Hmm. Could you not slow down the water entering though, so that it doesn't produce as much and there would be less wasted because of the slower filteration??? I don't know alot about the RODI's, so I just thought I would ask.

Thanks, (not meant to hijack :p)

-augustus
The amount of water wasted is a ratio to water that passes through the filter membrane & water rejected so slowing it down wouldn't matter. When I said using a single 75gpd membrane, you can always add a second later that uses the rejected water from the first to pass though the second which them produces more useful water, thus wasting way less!

So Is it a good deal and should I get it or what?!?!?
Yup they make a great product!

Sounds pretty good :) It has everything this one has minus the extra stage and 25gpd less. I would check out this for an awsome price.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=598

Good luck,

-augustus

That is the exact unit I have. Except I got mines off ebay store that sales the same one that cost $122 shipped to your door. I've been happy with it. Although it says 100gpd i've only been able to produce about 65-80gpd depending on temp.

just ordered the filter with, and a float switch!!
should be here end of week YEA BABY!!!!
No more 1.80 a gallon RO/saltwater!!!

So Is it a good deal and should I get it or what?!?!?

That is the exact system I bought, instructions were a little vague for hook-up, but the filter guys have awesome customer service, have always answered my e-mailed questions within about 12 hours.

LOL . . .Don't forget where you put the wrench, I always spend more time hunting down the wrench than it takes me to swap out the filters.

you will not be ssorry,
Picture327.jpg

SWEET I'm not alone!!
Kris I'll be getting ahold of you for some help I'm sure!?!?
I've never seen one of these getting set up or used one meself sooooo!

I feel like such a retard!!

its eazy... now that you can make your own fresh water water changes are eazy'r

its simple, home depot at the 1/4 push together quick connects,
i put a few ball vavles in line, b4 the unit and after,

i have the tds meter on the inlet side (fresh water) and on the out put side of the Di

if you look close, the yellow line on the bottem center of the picture, (thats the fresh water comeing in)
on the other side of the wall is the washer machine, hook up, and drain,

your Ro will have waste, water as it makes supper suppppppper fresh water,
(i got a garden hose, splitter b4 the washer, and drains down the drain)

the flush valve is right next to the tds meter,

its simple... plan on geting some valves, adapters, maybe a holding tank, heaters, power head, air stone or something like that,

Got it gonna get the filter first for right sizes and getting a 30 gallon barrel this week and Got a power head and a 4 extra heaters! I am setting this up in the laundry room right next to the washer!!!!
The filter is gonna be here friday!
I WILL need help!
I'll be writing for sure!
gonna hook straight to the drain for the washer, can I do this??

Last edited:
Also THE FILTER GUYS just sent an E-mail to me
check out how honest these guys are!!!
ADAM your order was shipped Monday UPS and the tracking number is *********** and you can expect delivery Friday. The psi gauge is uninstalled and a stub pin is in the fitting to prevent a flood, lift the pin out and install the gauge. If you have any problems please let me know. We also sent a refund of $12 in excess shipping back.

Many of our customers come from what our customers post about us on the club and saltwater forums. Please do us a favor and pass the word about our company.

Whats the clear line with the ball valve on it pointing to the slab?
And whats the importance of the TDS meter?!?

Sounds pretty good :) It has everything this one has minus the extra stage and 25gpd less. I would check out this for an awsome price.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=598

Good luck,

-augustus

never use a 100 gpd membrane, the rejection is about 90% while the 50-75 is 98% huge difference if you want close to if not zero tds from ro. or you can keep changing those DI beads. btw the sideway DI canisters are junkola as well, the filter guys have quality units, with quality filters. also check out buckeye field supply.

therse a ball valve, to to the unit on (yello wline)

theres a ball valve and tee after the Di, to shut it off b4 the tank.... then i have a split of filling buckets..

its eazy i can get a better picture if you need more help... but theres not much 2 it.
you might have to use pierce valve, to get water (or if yo have a ice maker, a tee is needed)

the drain can go down the washer drain, or sink.... of you can plumb it out side and use it for watering the garden, or ATo a bird bath or something like that.

the TDS meter is to determine how your filter is working... it will tell you the total dissolved solids...
thats the crap in the water the filter is takeing out.

i get about 30-75ppm In and 0 out... with about 1-2ppm b4 the Di.

Got it gonna get the filter first for right sizes and getting a 30 gallon barrel this week and Got a power head and a 4 extra heaters! I am setting this up in the laundry room right next to the washer!!!!
The filter is gonna be here friday!
I WILL need help!
I'll be writing for sure!
gonna hook straight to the drain for the washer, can I do this??

Mine is hooked up to the washer bibb for water source and drains into the washer drain. For the drain I had plenty of room to just slide the hose in next to the washer drain hose. For the water source I bought a "Y" like you would hook up to a hose bibb. Hooked the washer hose to one side and bought a piece that hooked to the "Y" and had a compression fitting that would hook up to the RO/DI hose. The only issue I had was my water was so cold the hose would get a lot of condensation and puddle on the floor. To resolve that I bought another set of fittings (Y and compression fitting) and hooked up to the hot water side. I then used a plastic "T" fitting to hook this into the source line. I use a ball valve on the hot water line to just feed a little hot water into the source line to keep it from condensating.

The TDS meter is to measure Total Dissolved Solids, I hear the in-line ones like come with this filter are not so good. Mine seems to read "0" on the output even when my DI resin is used up and the first filter is very dirty to the look. I started using the color changing resin so I know when it needs replaced as I do not feel my meter is a good indication.

Back