R/O D/I Filter question!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

link didn't work, but most e-bay ro units are cheap and use cheap filters. personally i wouldnt waste my money there, when you can get quality units from buckeye field supply, or the filter guys. they have the bargin prices, now there is nothing wrong with a sprectra pure but they are pricey.

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=167&Sub=166

you just can't beat these guys on price, and quality imo

Well I know quite a few people including myself that is using the Ro/DI from ebay (Water General) and their tanks look awsome. I guess if you want to spend twice as much on a ro/di that is your choice. I don't understand why people think the units on ebay are junk. I've seen many types of RO/DI units and they all are pretty much the same just different brand names. Yeah I know the filters are a little bit better quality than the ebay ro/di but is it worth spending twice as much for the same life span? From my experience and others I know that has swapped out the filters from the ebay unit for a more so called quality brand the so called better filters last just as long as the ebay brand. So I just want to know what the huge difference is between the so called superior brand named ones and the ebay water general RO/DI.

TIA for the inputs.

Got the unit today and already have it hooked up and running!
Thank you KRISFAL and Burning2nd for the helpfull hints!
I got ball joints on all in and outs!
And I used a Y with a preasure fitting off of the washer cold water in!
Prolly gonna do what KRIS did and Y in a warm water line for no condensation!
Also I forgot I got a dual TDS meter with the unit!
(why I paid $199) and I've got 22ppm going in and 1ppm going out!
Also I hooked up a float switch (again baught same time!) in a 46 gallon brand new garbage can with wheels! And yes IU hooked it up about 14" bellow the top So I can Move it with out spilling water everywhere!( I actually used my head for once)!!

AND!! is 40 PSI good for preasure?!?!

thats kindda normal... i dont know the ratio of good to waste... but you will make a bunch of waste.... It flows quickly.....

any pictures?

Well I know quite a few people including myself that is using the Ro/DI from ebay (Water General) and their tanks look awsome. I guess if you want to spend twice as much on a ro/di that is your choice. I don't understand why people think the units on ebay are junk. I've seen many types of RO/DI units and they all are pretty much the same just different brand names. Yeah I know the filters are a little bit better quality than the ebay ro/di but is it worth spending twice as much for the same life span? From my experience and others I know that has swapped out the filters from the ebay unit for a more so called quality brand the so called better filters last just as long as the ebay brand. So I just want to know what the huge difference is between the so called superior brand named ones and the ebay water general RO/DI.

TIA for the inputs.

Cheap carbon filters, large micron sediment filters and horizontal DI chambers.
If you don't have a good sediment filter it will clog your carbon filter and possibly the membrane. If you have a cheap carbon filter you will not remove contaminants that will destroy the membrane. And lastly horizontal DI's are very inefficient. The water will channel (bypass the resin) therefore not making good contact with the resin leading to un-pure water. In a vertical DI the water has maximum contact with the resin as it is forced to flow up through the entire height of the housing.

Yes the ebay units will work but in the long run, you will end up paying just as much if you had just purchased a better quality unit in the beginning.

Myteemouse,

you made a good, purchase you will be very happy with the results that unit will give you.

Here are the pics of my set up!
I know the walls are not finished yet but it's my laundry/mud room!
And the TDS meter right on the front of the unit (I velcroed it on!!)
And no it's not on the hot water!
Both of my washer hoses say "hot"( I sprung a leek in the cold one a while back!!)

Last edited:
same unit i bought... except the +2 i got has 2 Di's and ive also installed a 3rd canister.

if you look at there page.. you can see the brand of filters then use... ive found that same brand at a LFS for a little more money... so i bought a stock of the 3 pre filters, and the Di's

the micron rateing is whats importent.. use the TDs meter 2 gauge, your filters working skills

you might want to drill a bulk head in that g-can, ive installed a 1.5 bulk head.. a ball valve, and then a 90degree to a 13" long (i think 1"-1.5") tube that a place my bucket under to fill.

I try to keep the lid closed and sealed all the time,
also i have thermeters and power heads in the water (heated)
that way i have 40G of fresh water on all the time,

your fine... good start... thats the feed for the hot water? doesnt matter thats what i have a y at the washer
let me get some pics

up to date

Back