R/O water question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coil1002

I have a 5 stage r/o filter 75 gpd do I need to d/i the water before I use it in my reef?

no ,it isn't necessary, but don't listen to me....i had mine hooked up wrong!!! LOL

i forgot to welcome you to the forum!!!!! you will find all the answers you need on here!!!!!

You have a 5stage unit what are your stages? IMO if you have the ability to use DI I would as no ro unit will give you 0TDS water that DI is crucial to get the rest of the TDS out of your water . So yes I would use it .

Do you have to ?No . I used plain ro water in my reefs for 3 years before I broke down and bought a killer RO/DI unit. I was lugging bottles from the water store every week . BTW the RO tds was 3-7 TDS and that was a huge commercial setup .

My 5 stage is as follows for filters

1st 1/2 micron sediment filter, 2nd 1/2 micron carbon block, 3stage 75gpd membrane, 4th stage MAX CAP DI (spectrapure) and 5th stage Silica buster mixed bed DI.

You have a 5stage unit what are your stages? IMO if you have the ability to use DI I would as no ro unit will give you 0TDS water that DI is crucial to get the rest of the TDS out of your water . So yes I would use it .

Do you have to ?No . I used plain ro water in my reefs for 3 years before I broke down and bought a killer RO/DI unit. I was lugging bottles from the water store every week . BTW the RO tds was 3-7 TDS and that was a huge commercial setup .

My 5 stage is as follows for filters

1st 1/2 micron sediment filter, 2nd 1/2 micron carbon block, 3stage 75gpd membrane, 4th stage MAX CAP DI (spectrapure) and 5th stage Silica buster mixed bed DI.

Make that a 4 stage I went and counted
1st sediment filter 2nd carbon 3rd r/o membrane fourth water polish I should the fourth off and put in a D/I tube. That’s why I was asking the last stage on my filter is to polish up the water apparently and I do not think my coral will care.

i forgot to welcome you to the forum!!!!! you will find all the answers you need on here!!!!!
thanks for the welcome

I am just getting back into the hobby after a 5 year break I am starting a small 29 gallon its nice this time around I have a lot more knowledge and the time to set it up how I want. But damn did things get expensive good thing I know how to build my own lights.

Hopefully I can find a reef friend or two in my area to trade frags with

Make that a 4 stage I went and counted
1st sediment filter 2nd carbon 3rd r/o membrane fourth water polish I should the fourth off and put in a D/I tube. That’s why I was asking the last stage on my filter is to polish up the water apparently and I do not think my coral will care.
Why take the 4th off? Why not just add another stage?

Why take the 4th off? Why not just add another stage?

Ya looking around on e-bay I found a replaceable media inline d/i cartridge I can put that right after the r/o membrane 12 bux cant beat that. Or I could ditch the carbon But I like the idea of having the d/i after the r/o

Ya looking around on e-bay I found a replaceable media inline d/i cartridge I can put that right after the r/o membrane 12 bux cant beat that. Or I could ditch the carbon But I like the idea of having the d/i after the r/o
DI must be your final stage .

Reason I say replace the polisher is because it is not useful . That polisher is for drinking water.

The sediment and carbon filter are essential . If you remove either of them your membrane will clog and become useless quicker.

Why use a inline when you have the housing ? What are you going to put in the housing after removing the polisher?

Here is a pic of my unit :D
ro-di.jpg

Back