R.O water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
Hi, Can anyone tell me if ro water can be left in a food safe 55gal contaner for a few weeks or will it go bad. Do you need a powerhead or heater etc. Please give imput on this thanks:?:

I use the 5 gal refillable water jugs you get at the super market. Along with the tank that sometimes come with a RO unit, the water jugs work perfectly if they have the screw top lid.

5gallonjugs.jpg

In any event, if you wish to store the water, keep it in a dark cool place covered and it will keep easily enough. For longer storage, you can add a teaspoon of 5% bleach and stir, it will last for many many months.

Hi, Can anyone tell me if ro water can be left in a food safe 55gal contaner for a few weeks or will it go bad. Do you need a powerhead or heater etc. Please give imput on this thanks:?:

Probably depends on your particular environment....
Is the container in a climate-controlled space? Are you adding any new water periodically?

I keep both RODI and pre-mixed saltwater in 30 gallon trash barrels in my garage--the saltwater barrel gets a heater and powerhead/pump etc,
but my RO/DI water barrel gets nothing (and it seems to do fine.)

However, I am always subtracting water from it every day, and adding new RO/DI water to it 1-2 times/week--so the water is never just sitting stagnant for more than a day or 2....

(Not having a heater on the RO/DI water helps, I think--since that water stays "wicked cold" this time of year--I think the low temp helps keep organics from growing....)

FWIW: I left full barrels full for my "reef-sitter" to use for top-offs while I went out of town for 10 days....

I emptied both barrels and refilled them after I got back from vacation (just to be safe)

The colder RO/DI water can didn't need any cleaning but the heated saltwater sure did! (brown crud on the bottom/sides....)

Back