Rabbitfish Venom Up Close & Personal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jobiwan

I'm now a member of the elite few who are stupid enough to be stung by a Foxface. Last night my 6 inch long Foxface freaked out while I was feeding him and went right out of the tank on the floor. I reflexively grabbed him and put him back in the tank, despite the fact that I knew they had venom of some sort in their dorsal spines, he thrashed around enough to nail me in the palm of my hand. The pain was immediate and intense, I would say a bit worse than a wasp sting. I remembered somehow that hot water was the best initial treatment, so I held my hand under hot running water for a couple of minutes, it did provide a bit of relief. Then I got on the internet (after telling my wife to call 911 if I passed out), everything I found did mention hot water soaks immediately. Often mentioned was the possibility of anaphylactic shock due to an allergic reaction, with people allergic to insect stings being most at risk for this (disclaimer: opinions of other reefers, couldn't find any medical reference sites...). My hand swelled up, other than that no reaction other than the discomfort. This morning it is fine, no visible pain or swelling. I guess the points of this post are 1) Getting stung by a Rabbitfish is no fun and 2) If it happens to you be aware of the possible allergic reaction, particularly if you are at greater risk for this, call 911 if any sign of a more serious reaction develops, anaphylactsis is nothing to mess with...:eek:

Bummer man...Glad you are alright though.:) I've been hit by man-o-wars, fire coral etc and it's no picnic! Besides a stinging sensation, I had muscle spasms and cramps while in the water with both legs and arms locking up :eek:

All's well that ends well, but I do hate these learning experiences... I never thought about the kind of situations you described Krish, having something like that happen while diving could really be bad news, makes my situation look like nothing...

I feel ya. I was stung by a lionfish years ago and found out then that I was allergic to the sting. Sent me to the hospital. The pain was horrible. By the time I got to the hospital the pain had reached my shoulder. Doctor said a few more minutes and I would have had a heartatach (spelling?). The spine was still in my finger and they had to remove it. not the finger. ( the pain i believe would have been the same) hahah. the sorness lasted a few days afterwords. I have not had another lion since.

I feel ya. I was stung by a lionfish years ago and found out then that I was allergic to the sting. Sent me to the hospital. The pain was horrible. By the time I got to the hospital the pain had reached my shoulder. Doctor said a few more minutes and I would have had a heartatach (spelling?). The spine was still in my finger and they had to remove it. not the finger. ( the pain i believe would have been the same) hahah. the sorness lasted a few days afterwords. I have not had another lion since.

I've been stung by the spines of a lionfish too. One of the most intense pains I think I've ever felt. Fortunately I didn't have to go to the hospital, but boy.. I was just inches away from feeling like I had to go there.

Joe - glad you're ok man and sorry you had to experience. Thanks for sharing though. I had always wondered what it was like in comparison. I'm sure the reaction differs from person to person.

Wow, scary stuff! I'm glad you're okay.

What do you think made your Foxface freak out? Mine can be pretty schizy from time to time, but when I put my hand in the tank to put the nori clip in there, he's RIGHT there. I tell myself not to make any sudden moves, you know?

I have a gold spotted rabbitfish and before I place my hand in the tank, I do two passes of the tank to locate where the rabbitfish is. I have no interest in getting stung.

Joe, I'm glad you are OK.

All's well that ends well, but I do hate these learning experiences... I never thought about the kind of situations you described Krish, having something like that happen while diving could really be bad news, makes my situation look like nothing...

Yeah...Kinda scarey being in the water and getting spasms, but I never panic which is good. Here's what the fire coral sting looked like. It got into my bloodstream and I had patches pop up everywhere on my body :shock:

Thanks for all the thoughts folks, I just wanted to share the experience so no on else would too;) Jan, I have no idea what happened to freak him out, for six months I have been reaching in the tank to place his food, seaweed etc down in the bottom of the small holding tank (40 gal) he and my Naso are in to keep it from getting blown around so much by a powerhead, he was totally tame (I thought) and occasionally would eat out of my hand, I was doing my normal routine and he went ballistic, I'm clueless.... Wow Krish, maybe I'll resist the temptation to put some fire coral in my tank in light of my recent track record, that looks painful... I don't think this was in the same league as lionfish venom based on what I've heard from folks that have been hit by them, I'm not looking to upgrade though...

Last edited:
thats good your ok and the fish is ok...My lionfish really never bothered me at all when i was in the tank. The only time i thought i was going to get stung was when i was trying to catch them....

yep, just yesterday, i came sooo close to getting it from the lionfish when i was cleaning the tank...his spines just barely touched me and i felt a slight stinging...if i got a full sting i would have had to go to the hospital for sure as im allergic to bees.
i think i'll be leaving that thank for someone else to clean from now on...:idea:

Just a word of warning regarding allergic reactions. Typically you will not have an allergic reaction the first time you are exposed to something (antigen). It is the second time and subsequent exposures that the allergic reaction will occur. The first time you are exposed your body does not have the antibodies it needs to fight the specific antigen and must create them, the second time your body has this already and can overreact to the antigen.

The allergic reaction is complex and without researching to trigger my memory on what I learned many, many years ago at vet tech school I do not feel comfortable delving into this deeply. But I felt it was important to let people know just because you did not react severly the first time does not mean you will not have an allergic reaction to the same thing in the future. In fact you are more likely to have an allergic reaction in the future because you have been exposed to that particular antigen in the past.

We have a lot of things in our tanks, both those that we know are likely dangerous (lionfish, rabbitfish, sun corals etc.) and those that will only give us a tingly feeling when we touch them (my long tenacle anemone to mention one) but all of them can potentially cause allergic reactions and our best bet is to avoid exposure. I picked up some long re-usable gloves at Barrier Reef last weekend and I got to say I love them! Not only do they keep the oils from my skin out of the tank and keep my arm/clothes dry but they also create a barrier between me and all the possible antigens in my tank. I would recommend these gloves to all, I got them because I was very scared of getting to close to the massive bristleworms I have, I am allergic to bees and do not want to find out if I would be allergic to the bristleworm, but overall I am finding that I just love the gloves and wonder why I waited so long to get them!

Not that you could have, but it's a good reminder that you should wear gloves when sticking your hands in your tank. You can get some nasty infections if you don't have venomous fish to worry about.

as anyone found any gloves that are more leak-proof than the disposable ones, but less heavy than the orange and blue rubber ones? Something right in the middle of those extremes would be a huge hit!

Very sound advice, but I can't use it, anything that provides any degree of puncture protection doesn't give me the sensitivity/dexterity I personally require, but most importantly, I love to live on the edge....:rolleyes:

Back