Rainfordi and Hector's gobies in a 75?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

300ZXNA

One of the fish I lost in my tank crash was the rainfordi goby. I would like to get another one as he was my favorite fish in the tank. However, I would also like to get a Hector's goby. My question is will they be compatible? I know both are generally peaceful (never once saw any aggressive behavior from the rainfordi) but since they look so similar wonder if they will mistake each other for conspecifics and possibly fight. The tank is now a 75 with lots of LR and hiding places. Any insight appreciated!

i think it might be ok , but fyi both of these fish dont ship well plus hector's are harder to find than rainfords.

true, but there are one of each available at the LFS' in town. So if it isn't a dumb idea I could easily go forward with it. At the very least I'm definitely getting another rainfordi. They are just awesome fish.

My hector's is pretty brave - I wouldn't put it past him that he wouldn't be aggressive to someone with a similar body shape.

Although, I would be more concerned that there is enough pods and algae in the sandbed for both to graze on - In my 40 my hectors is the only fish (aside from a pair of clarkis) and he grazes throughout the entire sandbed through the day.

When you come pick up those frags remind me to point him out so you can check him out ;)

Back