Raising Calcium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kriswaters

I have recently purchased a calcium level test. My reef is about 5 months old and I have added a few soft corals and zoas in the last month.

My total volume is 73 gallons.

Currently:

PH 8.2
Temp 79
Alk 3.5 meq
Ammon, Nitrite and Nitrate 0.0
Calcium 275 ppm

I know this is low, and I need to raise it gradually (goal of 420 ppm). I have Reef Advantage Calcium, which also contains Mag and Strontium. I don't have test kits for those two elements.

Should I be worried about raising the CA with out being able to test for MG?

Kris

Although its a good idea to measure Mg along with ca, your safe to bring your ca up. I would be concerned as to why it is that low with no calcium consumers. Are you doing water changes? You dont need ca to be 420 with softies somewhere closer to 390/400 is going to be alot easier on the hardware.

Don

I do 20% changes every two weeks. Top of with RO water as well. I have quite a few snails, some hermits, xenia, tree coral, suncoral, etc. I use IO for salt with the water changes. SG at 1.025. Unsure as well why the decrease in CA. Using a Seachem test, and tested twice. Once with RO water (as the dilutent) and got 300 ppm and once with Distilled Water (as the dilutent) and got 275 ppm. I have the chemistry calculator in my favorites. I will follow that dosing in 1/4 increments, over a four day period...25ppm per day and retest daily. I will aim for the 400 mark.

Thanks,

Kris

Last edited:
With IO you should be close to 380. Mix up one gallon of IO to 35ppt and you should get real close to 380 if not your test kit is off.

Don

Understandable. I mixed up the SW and got an initial test of 300. I did the reference test on the kit and it came up -5mg/L so 385 instead of 390. I will retest the gallon of water in 24 hours. I understand that it can take this period to have accurate measurements.

I also tested my SG in my tank again...it was a little on the low side at 32ppt or 1.023. I am slowly raising that as well.

I will remeasure the CA in the tank once I get my salinity up again.

Thanks for all of your help.

Kris

Don did help out alot. I have had only fish for the first 2 months, and now the addiction to coral has grown with the addtion of the suncoral, the trees and the xenia. I now have a favia and a devils hand, not to mention the zoas.

We will see what the next few days bring, after I raise my salinity. I imagine the test kit is accurate, as it came up with the right reading after using the control.

I am glad there are those available in this time of need.

Thanks again,

Kris

Back