Rancho Dual Stage Controller- Accurate?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mtuttle02

Hello All-

I got my controller today and was curious if the temperature is on or not.

Rancho: 82
Coral Life Digital: 80.3
Glass China made aquarium thermometer:79.0

Witch one should I go off of, I want to set this thing rite.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

haha man I hate when that happens. I would go with the Rancho, but I have nothing to base that decision off of. Sorry I couldn't be more help :/

Well If you are looking for accuracy vrs. consistency, I'd say go with a professional type temperature probe, of go with the Ranco for consistency & set it & forget it. I know the RANCO is consistent but I don't believe it is as accurate as a lab grade probe but is that necessary for a reef tank, no not IMO!

I use both, & i actually adjust the temp. on the ranco a few degrees warmer than what is says & use my Temp. probe from Pinpoint as the decider temp. LOL right or wrong, the Ranco keeps it that way!

I have the Ranco and a certified FDA approved thermomiter and they are always within a degree of each other, so I would go with your Ranco

Why not just figure out which one is accurate. Place each in a glass of ice water for a few minutes, whichever read 32F / 0C is accurate.

Don

Why not just figure out which one is accurate. Place each in a glass of ice water for a few minutes, whichever read 32F / 0C is accurate.

Don

I never thought of that Don good idea:D

Same glass of ice water- 15 minutes.

Rancho: 33F
Coral Life Digital: Took a swim, opps
Glass China made aquarium thermometer:29.5F

I guess Rancho it is:)

Thanks again everyone!

The thermometer probe is sealed in a FDA approved glycol in a small bottle so it sits on the bottom of the sump, and when I talked to Ranco they told me the probe should not be completely submerged into salt water so I have it clipped to the top of the sump so that the point where the wire meets the probe is out of the water, so I don't have a problem with a 1 degree difference. But still a good idea Don

That is good to know about the probe being slightly out of the water, that may be my issue with mine. I need to do that test as it is simple enough!

The thermometer probe is sealed in a FDA approved glycol in a small bottle so it sits on the bottom of the sump, and when I talked to Ranco they told me the probe should not be completely submerged into salt water so I have it clipped to the top of the sump so that the point where the wire meets the probe is out of the water, so I don't have a problem with a 1 degree difference. But still a good idea Don

Goood info- Thanks A Lot Holygral!

I used that little 4-5 inch plastic holder that has a opened rectangular end on it that comes with all of the MJ PH and just used a plastic tie and attached my probe to in and clipped it onto one of my sump dividers

Last edited:
Back