Random Flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I want to have good flow in my 100 gallon. So far I have 2 x Koralia 4s and they are creating a lot of flow, but I want rAndOmNeSS. At least that is what I think my corals want. I am thinking of hooking up a couple additional powerheads and running them on a random timer. Or perhaps run all 4 on a random timer? The same timer I found to run my lights to location specific sunset/rise times can also turn on/off randomly based on preset settings.

I haven't quite figured out how the random settings work, the instruction sheet says RANDom uses the timer’s settings varied by random 5-minute
increments of ±30 minutes but I don't understand how this would work if I set the setting to turn off and on every 15 minutes.

http://www.intermatic.com/images/instruction_sheets/hb800rcl.pdf

Assuming I can get this random setting to work, do you think this would generate benificial random flow? What would be the ideal time interval? Shoulwd I do all 4 with random timers or just 2 or 3?

Apprecaite input, and regardless if nobody has any input I will try it out myself and let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hook those up to a timer. Your pumps will eventually burn out from turning on and off all the time. Also too the Koralias are known to run backwards when turned off and on frequently. You need a controller that just slow down the PH instead of completely shutting it off. Hydor makes them for their controllable pumps. Also if you can find a Seio controller they will work on the koralias also too I beleive.

Dr foster and smith sells a wavemaker power bar and 4 Maxi jets as a set for like $100 PH included!
This will do nicely on a budget!
I was just saying K-4's shouldn't be put on an on/of timer!
Sorry for the confusion.

Back