RavineJK's 72G

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ravinejk

Since moving from Virginia recently to Puget Sound, my Wife and I decided the new 12G Nano wouldn't satisfy our reef/fish itch. So, we had an exciting weekend. We started looking around for a tank, and found someone getting out of the hobby right down the street. We picked up a 72G glass reef ready Bowfront, stand, canopy, and everything else they had. Unfortunately, the tank was scratched pretty bad, but it was a heck of package deal. As we were unloading the tank, we nicked a corner, which upon further inspection quickly led us to buy a new tank locally (must have been fate). Then, then next day another string of luck, and thanks to chadmace we stocked the tank with some beautiful 115 lbs of live rock, which exceeded my expectations! So, here is the start of the build thread. BTW, if anyone is looking for a 72G reef ready tank with scratches and a ding, PM me for a freebie, otherwise it will be going to a recycle center. I can't post in the classified yet, still to new to the forum.

Objectives: This will be what I call a fairly easy reef with the flexibility to add some interesting fish, so our kids can have some fun and learn the whole reef/fish balance. I will focus the more complicated corals on the 12G nano.

Born: Sep 3, 2011

Equipment
72G Glass Bowfront tank with black stand and canopy
Overflow box
~20G sump w/ return pump
Aquamedic turbofloter T1000 skimmer
(3) Hydor Koralia pumps
(2) 150W MH coralife aqualights w/ 14K phoenix bulbs (ordered)

115 lbs live rock
80 lbs caribsea aragonite

And here are the first pics
IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

Very nice! Rock work looks good. Do those powerheads get enough flow in there for you? Details on lighting?

way better than the 12gal! I like nanos but big tanks are so much fun! Cant wait to get my big tank goin! :tinfoil3:

Very nice! Rock work looks good. Do those powerheads get enough flow in there for you? Details on lighting?

Nah, the powerheads aren't enough, I will be working on water flow as I pin down the final rock configuration. I have a fairly large powerhead, I think the previous owner had in a corner of the tank, that I haven't installed yet.

As for the lights, they are just (2) 150W MH coralife aqualights with the standard stock 14K double ended bulbs. I just ordered the phoenix 14K double ended bulbs as replacements. These lights will be okay for now, but I may need to upgrade depending on what the kids want to put in the tank (part of the learning experience for them). I may add some LED strips soon, still thinking about it. Oh, he also had a 48" powercompact fixture with lunar leds sitting above the MHs, but I am not planning to use them. It was a weird lighting configuration.

Here are the lights
http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_advanced-ap.html

Last edited:
Yeah that was a weird light configuration....I'm looking forward to your kids progress.

What a great family project/hobby and nice LR to start up with. Cool tank and great aquascape so far, and by the way "Welcome to Reef Frontiers". When its stabilized after cycle I'd be happy to gift a starter coral pkg to you guys if youd like. I'm just up the road a little NE of Mill Creek but did live in Hampton VA for a couple of years....way back in '74-'75

Cheers, Todd

The tank looks like a great start!! Very nice! Wish my wife was interested in fish tanks. It would make things so much easier LOL! :)

+1 on the gf or wife being intrested!

Hey is that a aquamedic turbo skimmer? Do u like it? Did it come with everything needed to set up? Wat r ur thoughts on it?

+1 on the gf or wife being intrested!Hey is that a aquamedic turbo skimmer? Do u like it? Did it come with everything needed to set up? Wat r ur thoughts on it?
Yes it is a aqua medic skimmer. I came upon it from my previous tank, received it part of another used setup. I would give it 7 out 10 stars. Takes some tweaking to get setup just right (flow, air, water level) and it doesnt do well with large water level changes, so in a sense it keeps me on top of maintaining a good water top off. Yes I believe I have all the parts.

What are a reefers favorite colors? yellow, light purple and cream! I am almost there on the cycle, nitrates were still present (5-10) but coming down quick.
Ammonia = 0
PH = 8.3
Nitrite = 0
Salinity = 1.024
Temp = 80.8 F

IMG-20110912-00025.jpg

IMG-20110912-00028.jpg

IMG-20110912-00032.jpg

IMG-20110912-00034.jpg

Back