RBTA feeding

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltwaterNoobs

We accidentally bought a package of frozen clam bits from our LFS instead of brine shrimp. We were wondering if we could feed the clams to our RBTA, or if that is a bad idea? We already opened the package, so we can't return it. I was hoping we could use it instead of throwing it away (what a waste!) Any ideas?

sure you can. I'd guess its better than brine, as the size is much larger. I feed my anemone pieces of squid or tiger prawns that I buy at the grocery store. Haven't done clams, but have also fed scallops.

I have a dwarf golden moray that I feed seafood to. The anemone gets some eel food occassionally.

I wouldn't feed the anemone more than twice a week though. They take about 3 days to digest (at least if its a big chunk of meat), and if you feed them more often, they will eat it, but it will get spat back out later that night.

Sounds good! We just got the RBTA on sale and I wasn't sure. We also have a clam in the tank, and as silly as it may sound, I wasn't sure if feeding the RBTA frozen bits of clam would awaken a hunger for the real thing and wake up to find a dead clam in my tank :p Thanks for the info jrg and sid!

I agree

I agree, I've fed my RBTA just about every type of saltwate-based meat I can get my hands and it has eaten it all. I have absolute no doubt that it'll be fine. If nothing else, target feed it a small amount and see how it responds.

Ray

You're better off feeding clam than brine shrimp. Brines lose their nutritional value very early on and just end up as filler. You'd want to get some mysis shrimp or krill for a more filling food. A Red Sea Aquarium has large sheets of the stuff at fair prices.

You could also go to Central Market, or another grocery store you trust, and buy some high quality seafood. Mix all of the meat together, along with some nori and vitamins, and you'll have a great super-food for your whole tank! There are some great recipes online, and I'll post the progress of my mix soon. :)

Back