Rbta + mandarins

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bored4ever86

I've heard it both ways and was wondering your guys take on this

People have told me that you should never keep a mandarin in a tank with a nem cause the mandarins are just too slow and without scales are inevitably doomed in such a tank to become food. Opposed to that others say due to their slimey skin nems can't/don't sting/eat mandarins and it's perfectly fine to house both in a tank

I ask cause "Nema" (my mom named it...) a female true perc is looking to host anything she can in the tank and I'd love to give her a rbta or something similar. Only drawback is the pair of mandarins in the tank that were there before her and I don't plan on moving them as they are my favorite fish.

Nema can move into my friends tank in ~2 months or so with her own rbta if it's not an option.

If anyone was wondering it's a 125g fowlr tank currently housing an emperor angel, Niger trigger, zebra damsel, 6-line, 2mandarins, and a true perc clown

Also opinion on adding a small clown trigger? The Niger is pretty shy/easily spooked if there's too much fast movement outside of the tank but otherwise gets along well with everyone else and the angel is still a juv (had some prob with these 2 at first but now it's all good as the Niger became submissive to the angel)

Last edited:
The CLown Trigger will Cause Problems in all Likely Hood as it Matures. They can Be Pretty Nasty as they get Older.

I've had 1 in my tank for about a year no problem, the mandarin always stayed away from the rbta .It was doing great untill it got sucked into my maxi-jet 900 which killed it
:(

I've had the same mandarin in my tank for about 6-7 years with some very large rbta's.

"If anyone was wondering it's a 125g fowlr tank currently housing an emperor angel, Niger trigger, zebra damsel, 6-line, 2mandarins, and a true perc clown"

RBTA AND MANDARINE ARE NOT THE REAL ISSUE SEE ABOVE QUOTE FROM ORIGINAL POST !!!

Back