RBTA Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
I have a RBTA that recently split and while one of them is in a good place the other has settled between two rocks where it is stinging some other corals. I want to remove this one but it has quite the firm grip. any ideas on how to remove it without harming it?

There's several ways to do this. An easy way, IF you can get to the rock it's attached to, is to gently break off a piece of rock that it's attached to. If that doesn't work, some methods I've used that worked for me are:

My best results have come from rotating the rock that it's attached to and aiming a powerhead at it. This seems to make them want to move. When they start moving, you can usually GENTLY, with your fingernail, credit card, butter knife, start at the part of the foot that's a little raised as they move and GENTLY tease the rest of the foot up off the rock.

Another method that I've had mixed results with is to hold ice cubes against the foot. This hasn't worked all that great for me.

I actually had to remove one today and was able to rotate the rock, putting the RBTA right at the top. I then used a screw driver and placed it on the rock, near the foot and tapped it a couple of times with a hammer. The rock cracked and I was able to lift off the broken portion, along with the RBTA.

I've also had NONE of these methods work and had to move corals instead...lol.

Good Luck!!!

I have had luck putting a bowl or plate over the anemone so as to block out the light, the anemone will usually start to move within a hour or two and once they start moving it is easier to remove them.

Ice cubus haven't worked so far and the rock its atached itself to has several sps colonies on it so it's kinda delicate. gonna try the light thing next. I'm kicking myself that I didn't move it when I watched it travel almost the length of the tank along the back glass:evil:

ofsid hey , we are aredsea, red sea is a different sponsor.
Matt is a customer of ours and I was going have him call because its a little easiyer on the phone. secret would be slow soft finger action:)

Back