RBTA Suicide...??? Need help ASAP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
i have had my new tank up and running for over 2 months and it has not moved once and seemed happy was growing and got all its color back with the new lights. Came home tonight after work to find that it had moved to the complete other side of the tank to a powerhead and was completely destroyed. My tank was so cloudy i can barley see, the gonopora, clam, zoas, are all completely closed, however the toadstool leather looks great.. Also fish seem ok, tang seems like it is stressed however though. Why would this happen? also i dont have any water made so im making some now i plan to change 50g tomorrow morning. I adjusted my skimmer to skim more wet and turned the lights off, is there anything else i should do?

Did you remove the anemone from the tank? sometimes if its not to beat you can unplug the powerhead and it will remove its self from the powerhead but thats if its still alive. I would change water as soon as possible and run carbon in the tank.

Your tank is not mature enough for an RBTA IMHO. Your tank needs to be up and running at least a year before any Anemones are added. He move because he was not happy with tank/water conditions. Water changes and carbon.................and patience

Came from a tank that was running for almost two years so it should have been ok. I couldnt remove it there was nothing left :(. I am currently running carbon and in process of doing a large water change.

The fact the anemone came from a mature tank doesn't correlate to the assumption that it will do well in a newly set-up tank.

No reason to kick her when she is down, looking for solutions not lectures.
Anemones get caught in powerheads in VERY mature tanks too, they move!

As Finn said, Massive water change and LOTS of carbon. Keep skimmer on max. If have ozone, turn it to the maximum too.

Sorry i meant i added it to my old tank after a year and had it for another year. I used all LR from old tank and seeded all the sand when i set up the new one and never had a cycle so from my understanding it should have been ok right? If im wrong would someone explain it? And i have heard this happens often but it is weird that after two months it randomly moved when nothing has changed in the tank. All water parameters are good, lighting and flow are the same and it was eating well.

No reason to kick her when she is down, looking for solutions not lectures.
Anemones get caught in powerheads in VERY mature tanks too, they move!

As Finn said, Massive water change and LOTS of carbon. Keep skimmer on max. If have ozone, turn it to the maximum too.

Good point! Heaven forbid someone upgrade to a larger tank...............:oops:

Can't diagnose a long term solution without a decent history of the situation. I agree with Holygral. If not to inform why respond at all?

He move because he was not happy with tank/water conditions. Water changes and carbon.................and patience

That's not always the case. I just had a very large RBTA up and move.
240 gallon soft coral tank that has been setup for approx 4 years and everything was there was in a 180 for 7 years.
Sometimes anemones will just up and move for whatever reason.

Ended up in a seio 1500 and it was a mess.

I was really bummed out when this all happened but im just glad everything else survived and are doing fine. I kind of wish i would have bought the cover for the vortech now.. o well.

On a side topic would a 6k bulb help cause algae problems?

Back