RBTA wasting away

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
I'm at the end of my rope, I hope someone can help me out.

My rose bubble-tip anemone is slowly wasting away. This has been going on for about two months and I'm at a loss as to the cause of the problem. Around the time this started, I noticed my xenia and green star polyps looking sick as well (see thread). I've since removed them to QT where they are doing fine again (together). I could remove the anemone as well, but I don't have the proper lighting set up at the moment, and whatever the problem is will no doubt reappear once I put him back in the display.

I am running regularly changed carbon, ozone, no major equipment changes lately. I added some Oregon tort around the time this started happening but I really can't see that being the problem.

The tank (240 gallon) is mostly SPS, which are doing fine along with all the fish. pH is a little low (7.8-8.0) but I wouldn't expect this to cause a problem like this.

Any input is welcome.

I'm at the end of my rope, I hope someone can help me out.

My rose bubble-tip anemone is slowly wasting away. This has been going on for about two months and I'm at a loss as to the cause of the problem. Around the time this started, I noticed my xenia and green star polyps looking sick as well (see thread). I've since removed them to QT where they are doing fine again (together). I could remove the anemone as well, but I don't have the proper lighting set up at the moment, and whatever the problem is will no doubt reappear once I put him back in the display.

I am running regularly changed carbon, ozone, no major equipment changes lately. I added some Oregon tort around the time this started happening but I really can't see that being the problem.

The tank (240 gallon) is mostly SPS, which are doing fine along with all the fish. pH is a little low (7.8-8.0) but I wouldn't expect this to cause a problem like this.

Any input is welcome.

Brian - sorry to hear this man. got pics of the RBTA. I couldn't find on the other thread. is it shriveled up and not extending? does it still have all of it's color? I don't think it has any natural predators (could be wrong), but usually all preditors I know try to stay away from these things.

and you've already done carbon ehh? that would've been my first suggestion..hmm...

P.S- I keep my PH at the same range as you 7.8-8.0. I don't have any problems w/ mine, so i don't think that is the cause.

How's your nitrates? Have you been running Carbon? Also, how old are your bulbs? May be due for replacement...although your SPS seem to be doing fine so I doubt it's a lighting issue. Oh wait, just read that you're thread again and I see that you are running Carbon. Could it be due to the Ozone? I don't know anything about Ozone so can't comment on that one.

Brian - sorry to hear this man. got pics of the RBTA. I couldn't find on the other thread. is it shriveled up and not extending? does it still have all of it's color? I don't think it has any natural predators (could be wrong), but usually all preditors I know try to stay away from these things.

It's completely shriveled, tentacles are shrinking daily and he spends most of the time in a ball. Sorry, no pictures since he's hiding in the back, but suffice it to say he looks like crap.

I turned the ozone off for a few weeks, no effect. I have considered chemical warfare with the SPS but I just don't buy this. Carbon/ozone would help with this, as would the many water changes I've tried with no effect. And besides, my tank is fairly lightly stocked as far as corals go.

What are you feeding it? It could be your water is too clean? Just an idea. When my xenia and anenome are really happy my sps grows slow and when my sps grows slow they seem to be happier. I have just observed this during my initial set-up and then after a recent die off due to the power outage.
-chris

I was under the impression you should feed anemones but I couldn't tell you where I read that. Here's a bump until someone more knowledgable comes along.

I was under the same impression. From what I have read here and on Reef Central they shold be fed liek any other critter in the aquarium. Either direct feeding or indirect through means of a host fish.

I was under the impression that they need to be fed occasionally. I know mine was pretty small when I first got it and then grew fast when fed mysis shrimp 1 to 2 times a week. I then backed off and feed some mysis every other month. The growth stopped, but it seems happy. I was just thinking that soft corals need more nutrients in the water than stony corals. For some reason I always think of an anemone as a soft coral, not sure why as it doesn't really make sense. I would try feeding mysis regularly and see if it bounces back.
-chris

High alk will take out star polyps and Zenia,You said they to where having problems. Could also affect the RTA. Been there with the other 2 and alk

I feed my RBTA at minimum 1 time a week. I feed directly with a 1/4 cube of frozen formula 1.

Best of luck with this issue.

DB

I doubt its chemical warfare as it seems SPS are the ones that usually loses that kind of battle. Plus you're running carbon already.
Like what others have said, I would be surprised if the Ph was causing all the problem.

I know they recommend giving anemones the full salinity of NSW.
Mine seemed much happier when I bumped up my salinity after finding out my refractometer was off.

I think it is starving. I would start your RBTA on really small sized food. But what do I know. I know I am telling you what I learned here at RF. :)

Put food next to the mouth & watch it take it up fast, try shrimp chopped up fine, twice a week.

To chime in here with the crowd: I have killed almost every creature one can screw up with, and kept a rich filthy soup as a tank for decades. Be that as it may, never lost a RBTA and my secret was frequent feedings, OK or better lighting, high salinity, and good water flow. Try some food. Never had one pass on an oregon cocktail sized shimp. Good luck pal, would hate to see this surviver bite it.

I don't think he's in any mood to eat at this point and not sure I can even reach him, but I'll give it a shot.

I never considered this the cause because the xenia and star polyps were also doing poorly... and this started happening at about the same time.

SG is 1.026, don't see the need to go any higher than that.

Hey Brian I feed mine twice a week with silver sides.

But what gets me is why it has come this far, if this is the one you brought back from the dead.
Also I thought anemones are photosynthetic and feeding them just helped them grow at a faster rate??

Back