Re-curing live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I guess your personal opinion is the right one out of all the many published methods for "COOKING live rock"...

Nice attitude:rolleyes: I can never understand why people need to act this way. Im simply pointing out that what you are describing is curing rock not cooking rock. Get over it.

The quote i posted is one written by the first people to use and popularize this rock purging method call "cooking rock"

Yes, exactly. There are more than one ways of curing "cooking" live rock.

My point is that "curing" and "cooking" rock are two different things. Simply sticking the rock in water,in the dark with a skimmer is not going to the same thing as "cooking" it where each week you do a 100% water change, clean the rock of all detritus and clean the holding tank each week also. You do this untill the bacteria stops pushing detritus out of the rock.

I would love to see all these published methods

Chris or barb, there is no flame. I posted my definition, you said NO, and gave yours, I said yes and gave a link, you persisted...

We are not talking rocket science, we are talking about personal preferences. The primary difference between curing live rock and cooking live rock is the use of total darkness. In the dark, the plant material dies off and the bacteria consumes it. I prefer a skimmer, you prefer simple water changes. I prefer to use a heater, you do not.

NEITHER IS RIGHT NOR WRONG.

Read all the links you want searching for "cooking live rock." The technique and end product is identical. Rock whose pores are open and detritus consumed and removed with maximum bacteria population.

Yes & a sterile rock could potentially house more bacteria or It could house a lot of things you never wanted in the first place,
scooty,

so are you saying that placing rock in total darkness could cause this?

I have bryopsis on 85% of my LR and debating if I want to do this, but want more info before do. I am trying the freeze method on two pieces of LR this weekend..yes, that is right, place LR in the freezer for 2 days..suppose to kill it..see the Freeze Them Off section of this article:

http://fish.suite101.com/article.cfm/bryopsis_a_common_pest_in_aquaria

Last edited:
Not trying to highjack this thread, but I didn't want to start another thread. Would this "cooking" process kill off any/all aiptasia?

Not trying to highjack this thread, but I didn't want to start another thread. Would this "cooking" process kill off any/all aiptasia?

with enough time yes it will, but it takes a lot of time. and a lot of new saltwater for water changes...

Back