re giant clams silly guestion

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mnewby

always
i had a coworker stop by the other day and he was impressed with the tank i have and said back in the phillipians they catch and eat fish like we keep but here these reef fish have a high status and cost i was just woundering do the people that live where the big clams from eat them in that area of the world that the clams come from

actually i was watching survivor and they pulled up this big beautiful giant clam and roasted him and ate it that was heart breaking

croceas are a delicacy in Japan. and many South Pacific(Indio Pacific) natives eat clams as a staple. it 's funny that you mention the clams that were shown on Surviver(and eaten). some were Giga's and some were Derasa, and everone says"these are low light clams" but these people were getting them in 15' of water!these clams were in the same depths as "Hight light clams"like Croceas and Maximas.but we have the "low light ,Hight light" clam destination?the larger clams retain the ability to feed off organic compounds"heterotrophic"(i think im right?) if lighting is sub-par. where as the smaller clams ( Croceas,Maximas) losses this ability.so i think that my point is that the clams that we all keep need about the same lighting requirements. im only making this point because i see all the time "i heard Gigas or Drease was a low light clam"
Sorry about my rant:)
just went back and read:) im really sorry about the rant :) yes people eat these clams all the time.

Having swam over patches of these huge clams, you fly all over the place just from them opening and closing. Chris & Barb great post!!

Mike

what !!!! they eat those beautiful clams !!!
i can't believe someone could do that, that's a heart breaker :eek:

Back