Reactor Is Done

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

I was pricing reactors in canada and whoo $400 plus. i decided to build my own and this is what i came up with. Acrylics didnt cost anything as I get all the throw out pieces from the local supplier. So with the plumbing media Pump the total came to $150 canadian. As I built it i would change things if I found it looked bad and didnt fit. Hope you enjoy what I did.

Thanks for listening MINIATUS

MINIATUS Great project you've done here!If you don't mind could you please share us the photo of the other side of the reactor. I'm a newbie here, can you please explain which tube goes to where.And where does the CO2 come in.This is going to help me a lot in building my new tank.Thanks for sharing.!!!Please let us know its performance specially the weak and strong points plus any improvements you are planning!

Excellent Min, DIY is always the best if you have the skills and tools to do it. Once you get her up and running let me know what the effluent is like

Mike

Looks good. I'm seeing what I think is your bubble counter (small tube). Its plumbed to the pump inlet. Can you explain. It looks upside down.

Don

Nice work. I think DIY is the best way to do a CA reactor because of there inflated prices.

Nice looking reactor, one question though...based on the way you have that MAG pump hooked up, it appears that you are planning on pushing the water down over the media rather than up through it. Is this the case, and if you are probably going to want to reverse it so that you push the water up through the media and pushing the water out the top to the tank.

Eliyah

DonW said:
Looks good. I'm seeing what I think is your bubble counter (small tube). Its plumbed to the pump inlet. Can you explain. It looks upside down.

Don

I built most of this based on skimmers built by Precision Marine in which they use this cross system and plumb it that way.I find the pic and post to explain it better. On there cross they also feed the system thru it. I cant really test until I get the Co2 kit in 2 weeks.

esmith said:
Nice looking reactor, one question though...based on the way you have that MAG pump hooked up, it appears that you are planning on pushing the water down over the media rather than up through it. Is this the case, and if you are probably going to want to reverse it so that you push the water up through the media and pushing the water out the top to the tank.

Eliyah

Thanks for pointing that out. but I dont think it matters which way it goes as it is only a circulating pump. As water is fed to the system it will rise and leave thru the top and drip into the sump. As I told Don I built some of this based on the way PM build theres and they run it down and not up. I will investagate some more and post some more on my findings.

MINIATUS :)

Skipper J said:
MINIATUS Great project you've done here!If you don't mind could you please share us the photo of the other side of the reactor. I'm a newbie here, can you please explain which tube goes to where.And where does the CO2 come in.This is going to help me a lot in building my new tank.Thanks for sharing.!!!Please let us know its performance specially the weak and strong points plus any improvements you are planning!

Skip
I will post those pics as soon as I get somemore batteries for the camera.

MINIATUS :exclaim:

MINIATUS said:
I built most of this based on skimmers built by Precision Marine in which they use this cross system and plumb it that way.I find the pic and post to explain it better. On there cross they also feed the system thru it. I cant really test until I get the Co2 kit in 2 weeks.

Not what I was talking about. The tube going from the bottom of your bubble counter. I'm assuming you want co2 to go into the "t" at the pump. I'm also assuming the clear tube going into the BC is where you going to hook up your co2 regulator hose. If my assumtions are correct the bubble counter is plumbed backwards and shouldnt work.

Don

Hi Don
When i read the message early this moring i looked at it and realized I screwed up the plumbing. Dah its hard to think straight at times. Thanks for pointing that out for Me. I learned something to day.
Another concern brought to my attention that maybe you can answer. it was pointed out the Mag3 was plumbed wrong. Based on the Pic it feeds from the top and exists thru the bttom. Unless Eheim works backwards Its plumbed ok.

MINIATUS :confused:

Back