Ready to order Rocks and supplies to start first SW tank. Needs opinion

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

godzen

So I just bought a 65 gallon tank from a member here, the red sea max 250 to be exact. Been researching dry rocks and other various supplies needed. Looking to get the 50lb package of Marco rocks and seed it with 20 lbs of live rocks from either Tampa bay saltwater or premium aquatic. My plan is to aquascape the sand and dry rocks first in the DT, when ready, add the mixed saltwater and let it cycle with a frozen market shrimp. Plan to order the live rocks and add it a few days later when it arrives. Couple of questions

1. When I start the cycle with the dead rock and shrimp and later seed with live rocks, I should turn off the skimmer/sump that is part of the RED SEA MAX 250 and leave all other mechanical filters in correct? The idea is to allow ammonia and wastes to build good bacteria?

2. Any thoughts/opinion on what type of dead rock and live rock I should get? I'm just a little concern with the price of the live rocks on premium aquatic and TBS. 20lb shipped to me will probably cost $150 which is a little too much. Any good local place to buy quality live rocks?

3. Once ammonia/nitrate/nitrate remains at 0, I can start adding corals or fish correct?

4. Last, what are some nice methods of quickly draining out water and pumping new mixed saltwater into the tank? I plan on going to lowes/home depot to buy at least 20 or 30 gallon bucket to make my saltwater. From that bucket, I plan on using a cheap quality pump with tubing to pump the water into the tank to save my back. Is this the way most people do their water change? As for draining out the water, I plan on doing the old fashion gravity drain out to the back yard that freshwater hobbyists are familiar with.

1. When I start the cycle with the dead rock and shrimp and later seed with live rocks, I should turn off the skimmer/sump that is part of the RED SEA MAX 250 and leave all other mechanical filters in correct? The idea is to allow ammonia and wastes to build good bacteria?

If you are buying fresh LR then I would make sure that is in the tank from the begining. If it is cured from someone then you can do it a bit later but you may still get a bit of dieing material from it and thus another little spike in ammonia and such. You can run the skimmer and/sump since it is an all in one the bacteria population will still grow. I would also look into a product all "The one and Only" from Dr.Tim's its a really good source of bacteria for starting up tanks, and then just a small peice of shrimp.

2. Any thoughts/opinion on what type of dead rock and live rock I should get? I'm just a little concern with the price of the live rocks on premium aquatic and TBS. 20lb shipped to me will probably cost $150 which is a little too much. Any good local place to buy quality live rocks?
I wouldnt use LR at all, all it is is used up rock that is full of detritus and waste. As mentioned above I would use dry rock with the bacteria from Tom, then I am sure we can find you a local to sell you a couple pieces of LR so you can start up some corraline. This way you dont get any unwanted hitch hikers and can add you own on your time frame.

3. Once ammonia/nitrate/nitrate remains at 0, I can start adding corals or fish correct?
You can add fish after the tank has cycled through, personally I dont like to see corals added untile the tank has gone through its algae and moron cycle and is a little bit more stable.

4. Last, what are some nice methods of quickly draining out water and pumping new mixed saltwater into the tank? I plan on going to lowes/home depot to buy at least 20 or 30 gallon bucket to make my saltwater. From that bucket, I plan on using a cheap quality pump with tubing to pump the water into the tank to save my back. Is this the way most people do their water change? As for draining out the water, I plan on doing the old fashion gravity drain out to the back yard that freshwater hobbyists are familiar with.

Their slots of ways to do this and I aam sure you will find a creative way of doing it. I would be bit wary of the back yard through as SW tends not to make grass or plants very happy.

Mojo

Thanks for the backyard comment. Did think about that even though the area I'm draining to in the back is dead of plants anyway. Like to keep that area clean. But may find a convenient way to dump in sink though

I would go all base rock and no live rock. I utilize Dr Tims and it helped my tank cycle pretty fast, however I wouldn't add fish to the innital cycle despite the claims that you can.

I agree with all of the above. never used dr tims but heard much good, and if you cant get it look at your lfs for fritzyme turbostart 900. cycled my tank super quick as far as avoiding ammonia and nitrite...HOWEVER, I WOULD add fish or two and you can even skip the dead shrimp ( I would skip it) if you are using bacteria in a bottle and live fish. The reason to add live fish..or dead shrimp is there has to be some waste for the bacteria to eat and breed. if you are using dead shrimp and bacterial additives( make sure they are a proven kind like the two previously mentioned), wait untill you have ammonia before adding the bacteria otherwise may be just a waste.

a damsel or two will give you something to look at while your tank cycles with bacteria additves....and you may not ever even measure any ammonia or nitrite. in which case look for the nitrate to rise to confirm you have good basteria in place, then lastly look for the nitrtate to drop. at which time you can start new additions slowly.

Back