real live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That was a blue Stylophora that I got from someone in Seattle. Unfortunately, it no longer is in my tank. I don't know if it was an alkalinity issue or what, but I lost all my Stylos early last year :(.

pretty awesome piece. losses happen and they are never easy, but if you learn even something small from them, they happen for a purpose...

This was the tank back in June of 2006:

IMG_5722JPG_zps7f529f16-1.jpg

Two weeks later it was all white skeletons, I know about losses Stacey.

i think i saw that one in the other thread.. while i know losses hurt, i haven't experienced one on that scale, so i can't imagine how hard it would have been. the pictures i have seen though show a beutiful well cared for tank. for all the time and effort, things happen. bringing things back the way you have is a testament to determination. and as hard as it was, it got better each time for the experience, didn't it?

It took a good 2 years to get to feeling like I was confident enuf to go back to an sps dominated tank. If it wasn't for the Emperor Angel, I would have done an LPS tank, but she seems to have an appetite for some of the LPS..............lol. I will not get rid of her, she was the size of a half dollar when I got her.

It is either determination or pure stupidity Stacey ;). What I have now is it! If this goes down it is either downsize or get out you know.

ahh... we all think that. you may be closer to the edge, but I think we all feel it to a degree. I enjoy the good too much to not deal with the bad..

ahh... we all think that. you may be closer to the edge, but I think we all feel it to a degree. I enjoy the good too much to not deal with the bad..

When I redid the lights last December, it was make or break. And going from 6-400W 20K halides to the current system from OBD, I feared the worst because I knew I was going to lost alot of intensity. Surprisingly enuf, everything survived and tho my growth has slowed to a snails crawl, I am very happy with what I have now. It is indeed a credit to OBD that they designed and built these lights for me. I have moved some stuff around, but all in all, it is pretty much the same as it was and life is good.

So........................................ what did you figure out on the live rock Stacey, we need to get that figured for you..........................lol.

Wait, you want to get back on topic? Why? LOL

I'm not quite ready for the rock yet. I built the cabinet (basically a rocketEngineer one, bit lengthened to house the sump) and and the poles for the light(s) , but I'll be switching sumps at the same time from a 20 gallon tank to a 24x24 footprint acrylic.. I have to baffle it yet and do all the stupid math to figure out how high the baffles need to be, which will be complicated by the fuge draining to it in addition to the tank.. and I hate math.

That is why I asked for opinions now, so I could let this whole thing percolate for a while, and research the comments folks give me... I try spend time on decisions, weeks or more... I learn something new everyday, whether I want to or not, and letting these things evolve over some time allows me to focus on an 'area' for research without overwhelming myself with more info than I can handle. And I'm reading your thread and watching football, that actually a little MORE than my tiny little brain can handle!

Well, let's put it this way, it is your thread and we are talking about my tank, something about that is just wrong......................LOL. To go with my first thought, get fiji rock from one of the local shops Stacey, much trustier rock and less to worry about as far as unwanted critters go.

You are multi-tasking Stacey, I am doing that too by watching football and thinking about dinner and what I am gonna make. At this age...................... thinking about more than one thing is like a monumental task ;).

we're talking about tanks, that's how I learn. No tunnel vision.

I agree on trustier and less to worry about. Just love the life I see on the TBS stuff.. sponges and macros, boring clams.. just 'real' live rock. Its definitely, not the safe route though, that is for sure.

or it could eventually crash everything and kill my fish and corals. But there are sponges and macros.... LOL

But then again so could coral food..................................lol. Everything we do is a risk in a rather controlled environment isn't it?

And dammit, I wanna watch the Bears game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ;).

Which is why I love Sunday Ticket.
oooohhh I could even get a smasher, and it could literally break the tank! Nothing let to worry about then. LOL

I do not think Dish Network offers that, which is another reason to have the internet, and NFL.com......................lol.

My friend in Missoula has a Peacock Mantis that is just a beautiful creature, but I don't ever wanna make it mad.................. :).

They are awesome. I've thought many times about setting up a species tank for one. But I've sworn off acrylic...

I could go glass if I picked up a spearer though. So many cool animals, so little money and space.

It seems that way doesn't it. I haven't added anything really in my tank in over a year and a half. I just like the way things are and going to let them stay that way. Been thru the adding stage and all it gets me is pests and headaches.

April%252016%25202012_2086%2520copy.jpg

What's this one? I'd guess its a variant of a cabbage leather, but I don't see the polyps I think i should. Then I go to mushroom, but they don't overlap like that do they?

Back