Really bummed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slo1

Last week I added a bubble anemone to the tank. Looked like it was doing great.

Last night it got sucked in to a powerhead, gross. I cleaned out what I could. Is there anything I need to do to the tank? Did I do something wrong? Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening? Thanks.

First thing you need to do is do a water change and get waste out of tank. The second thing is relocate powerheads high enough where they are not available for anenome.

If there's an anemone in a tank, it should be protected by putting sponge sleeves over all powerhead intakes. Even putting them high may not work as anemones are able to float around if un-attached. Because of this, they can be sucked into intakes still. Remove all waste, do a substantial water change and filter with carbon.

You'd be amazed at how resilient BTAs can be. I've had a RBTA go through a powerhead twice in a week. It healed completely within 5-7 days. It's since been given to another reefer, who's had it for over a year. It's thriving and has split numerous times since.

If it was completely destroyed, I'd suggest tossing it so it doesn't continue to contaminate your tank.

Thank you guys for the reply. The anemone is toast. Got rid if the big parts this morning. I will do a good job cleaning and start water changes tonight. The tank got pretty slimey last night.

Longer term, would it make any sence to build a closed loop system using powerhead pumps and pvc? I have a glass aquarium and would have to go over the top. I have a wavemaker that pumps plug in to.

Over the top closed loop sytems are very doable. I did one, but wasn't quite happy with the results so took it apart...lol. It would have worked out much better if I'd had a better pump. AND it was just too visible. With a canopy, it could have been hidden better. Melevsreef has some awesome information on a over the top closed loop using a SQWD. Here's a link to it.
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I had a bubble go through my filter. I got lucky some of the peices started growing in my filter. I now have 3 from the same one.

Back