Really small fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
What's the smallest fish you've kept or are currently keeping? I was browsing through some old pictures and came across a few fish I've caught here that were really small!! You tend to forget how small some of these fish are in their juvenile stages! For those who have never seen these pictures, here are a few of some small fish I've caught. Some of these I kept and some I just caught, took their pic, and then released them. These are crazy small!!! :eek:

French Angel fish

Blue Chromis

Wrasse

Butterfly fish

Tang/Surgeon fish

Sargent Major (damsel) Fish

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Wow that is Nice, Like you said we dont get to see them when there that small only at certain size unless you see them on TV. Thanks Krish it makes you respect this even more.

Dtech07

Wow that is Nice, Like you said we dont get to see them when there that small only at certain size unless you see them on TV. Thanks Krish it makes you respect this even more.

Dtech07

Haha!! That first fish, the french angel, is one of my all time favorite saltwater fish to keep! I've had one that was about 5 inches long or so that did extremely well in my tank. You can't keep two together or they will just fight, but the one I had, after about 2-3 days in the tank, he would come up to your hand and eat out of it. It's crazy!! Here he is in my old 90 gal with his wild caught wrasse buddy. You know this has to be really old picture to have sand in it! Sand is evil!!!! :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very Nice:rockon: The Angells have (for me) a certain attitude I enjoy, they just don't play nice together but are very smart compare to other fish. So are you using water from the ocean or doing your own RO/ maybe DI , mix? I have to ask because of the "From ocean to tank" is hard?? not sure.

Dtech07

Very Nice:rockon: The Angells have (for me) a certain attitude I enjoy, they just don't play nice together but are very smart compare to other fish. So are you using water from the ocean or doing your own RO/ maybe DI , mix? I have to ask because of the "From ocean to tank" is hard?? not sure.

Dtech07

You know the funny thing is I don't use natural sea water. I rather just mix my own batch than to go through the hassle of lugging water and possible transferring something bad into the tank. I had a few friends that use to use NSW here and never had an issue, but I never messed with it :p.

Thats good stuff, Krish.

You know, I don't really want to keep much of any fish. But on the other hand, I would like some fish to pop in and out of the rock work. My only problem is I don't want any big fish, I would like to get fish that stay small, under 1.5-2in. The only ones I found that stay small were cool water fish, I can't find any that stay small that I can keep. I finally broke down and got a Bangaii Card. Do you know of any fish that stay tiny?

Hmm...Royal grammas don't get all that big. Really nice looking fish as well! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm...Royal grammas don't get all that big. Really nice looking fish as well! :)

Yeah, before my tank crashed I had one. Nice looking, but very.......fiesty! Bickered with my other fish. I gave him to a friend.

Yeah, before my tank crashed I had one. Nice looking, but very.......fiesty! Bickered with my other fish. I gave him to a friend.

That sucks!! Well of course clowns don't get all that big but you end up having a tank with basically the same fish as everyone else lol. Chromis are cool schooling fish that don't get all that big in aquariums (atleast I've never seen any all that big apart from in the wild) and I'm sure there are other fish out there as well some of these guys have kept that they could recommend. :)

Great pics Krish!!

We have a wee lil' Goby, in Angie's nano, that stays tiny. It's an Eviota nigriventris. We've had it for almost 2 years. For the first year, we hardly ever saw it, and wondered if it was even alive. Now, we see it quite often, though it's still hard to photograph. Here's some pics I took almost a year ago, and are posted on her Nano thread.

4598734381_0c25b2b9f8_b.jpg

4598736275_4d09309ecc_b.jpg

Thats good stuff, Krish.

You know, I don't really want to keep much of any fish. But on the other hand, I would like some fish to pop in and out of the rock work. My only problem is I don't want any big fish, I would like to get fish that stay small, under 1.5-2in. The only ones I found that stay small were cool water fish, I can't find any that stay small that I can keep. I finally broke down and got a Bangaii Card. Do you know of any fish that stay tiny?

I picked up a twin spotted goby. He stays pretty small and looks awesome. He does love to dig little tunnels under the live rock, but it is kind of cool to watch him move tiny pebbles out of his way as he sifts the sand. (Signigobius biocellatus "Twin Spot Signal Goby" | Gobies & Tilefish | Saltwater Fish | Aquarium Livestock - ThatPetPlace.com)

Those gobies are small.
I have 2 shark nose cleaner gobies that are so small compared to anything I’ve ever had. If they are an inch and a half long it would be a stretch but they are so small around even that doesn’t amount to much. They are always out and the big fish are not intimidated at all with them climbing all over them and even in there gills.

b_144713.jpg

I released these guys after I took their picture except that spotted damsel fish. Man those things are real bullies!! :eek:

Back