Rebirth of the 40 frag tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Quite some time ago, I set up a 40 breeder, as a frag tank. Shortly after setting it up, it was revamped, as a holding tank for a couple other member's livestock. Recently, the last of that livestock was removed. Now it's time to return it to it's original purpose, with a few changes. The tank has been moved back upstairs. It will be lit with a Hamilton 250MH Pendant with a Hamilton 14K SE bulb, and will probably have a SWC Mini HOT skimmer added, in the near future. I still have a Tek5, 6 bulb fixture, on standby, in case I'm unhappy with, and decide to change the lighting. (Though I still have a second 40 breeder I need to find room for...lol) There just isn't room to put a sump/fuge under the tank, so for now, I'll rely on the large CPR Aquafuge, with a DSB. The tank will have minimal live rock. I am researching and considering a DIY Denitrator and/or Remote Bucket DSB.

This tank will be used primarily to grow SPS, Acans, Echinos and some Zoanthids. Fish will include a small Tang, probably a Scopas, for algae control and a 4 or 6 lined wrasse, to control an flatworms or other possible pests.

Pics will be posted soon!

Today, I placed 2 pieces of rock, (20lbs) on the bottom. This rock is very well established. I'll be adding a couple smaller pieces, from the bottom of the 200 and then scattering some rubble over the bottom. I have about 30 gallons of water in the tank and need to make up more RO/DI water, to make more saltwater, before I can fill it up. I'm not expecting a cycle in this tank, since all of the rock will be well established. I may experience a diatom bloom, but that's to be expected.

Tomorrow, it's off to the hardware store, to get a couple things that I need, to hang the pendant with.

As for fish, I'd mentioned I'd probably be adding a Scopas Tang. Well, scratch that! While at Aquarium Solutions a few hours ago, a teeny, tiny Kole Tang caught my eye! It's VERY HEALTHY and I just had to have it. Needless to say, we brought it home. Temporarily, it's calling Angie's 24 gallon Aquapod home. This Tang is only slightly larger than the Percula clownfish in her nano, maybe 1", total length! The nano is badly overrun with algae, so this will give it something to do, for a few days!!

Stay tuned for photos tomorrow! The nano has curved glass and is a PAIN to photograph so the pics of the Kole Tang won't be the greatest.

Couple of quick pics.

5765322095_c6ce0f30ff_b.jpg

The tiny Kole Tang, in Angie's nano, for a few days. Just cleaned the glass, so there's some particulate floating in the water. Please forgive the crappy picture quality!

5765321059_8110e21273_b.jpg

Wow, that is an itty bitty Kole! Never seen one that small before.

Nick

REALLY another tank??? Like you need to set up ANOTHER TANK???

LOL It's not an additional tank. This is the 40 that was originally set up as a frag tank, then converted to hold livestock for a couple other members. I'm just setting it back up, to serve it's original purpose again.

I do still have another empty 40 breeder and a 6 bulb tek5 fixture, to put over it... Angie would KILL ME!

The Kole Tang, still residing in Angie's nano.

5777610738_00d51a2840_b.jpg

This one is a crappy photo, but may help give an idea of just how tiny this guy is. The circle of Bubble Algae, in the background, is actually bubble algae plugging up a 1" hole that I drilled, so that bubble algae circle is 1". The Kole Tang is about 3" closer to me, than the bubble algae circle, so appears larger. In fact, when the tang is picking at all that nasty algae, you see, on the back, it's about the same size, as that bubble algae circle.

5777067271_b72c53daf6_b.jpg

I'd considered moving the tang into the 40, in the next couple of days, but have reconsidered. Since there's plenty of room, in the nano, for it, right now AND since it's actually doing a great job of cleaning up that algae, I'll leave it be for a bit. That's better than moving it to the 40, where I'd have to provide it algae.

Here's the latest photo of the 40, all filled up, with a few tester corals in it. I've also added a modded Maxijet, adding 1300 gph of flow, to the Koralia 3. I'm still debating on switching out the propeller, to the 2200 gph prop.

5777613090_f9df12aff7_b.jpg

SWC MiniHOT skimmer has been ordered, from Luke! Can't wait to get that bad boy up and running!

I'm starting to get some diatom algae, on the rock and glass bottom, which I expected. Tossed a few Strombus snails in, to give them something to do.

Added a few "non essential" SPS to the tank, over the past couple of days. So far, so good!

Hopefully they deliver it here! :D. Always loved the look of a tank with no background. On;y way I could do one though would be an in-wall seperating two rooms or a tank with the overflow built to one side. :)

The skimmer is hanging on the tank, skimming away! It's currently hanging off of the front of the tank, to make it easier to photograph. I'll try to get some photos shot, this evening or tomorrow, and get them posted, along with a little run down on some issues I had, installing the skimmer, and a quick report on my thoughts, on this skimmer, so far.

SWC MiniHOT initial review

Today, I took some time to get a few photos of the SWC MiniHOT Skimmer, that I purchased from Luke, at Reef Filtrations. I'll also give a limited review, of the skimmer. The only reason it'll be a "limited review" is because I've had it installed for less than 24 hours. Luke was very prompt in communications about this skimmer, and even more prompt in getting it in stock and shipped to me. Thanks Luke!!

Let's cut to the chase, I'm IMPRESSED!!!

Initially, the skimmer arrived, packaged very well, in the SWC factory packaging. However, there wasn't any literature in the box. No directions, no warranty paperwork, nothing. I was slightly disappointed in this. I had to guess, at assembly, but it's fairly straight forward and easily assembled. However, priming it is a bit of a guessing game, without instructions, and I could see how someone could easily burn out the pump, if not familiar with the priming steps. I actually called SWC and they walked me through it. Conveniently, their phone number, both office and cell, are on the box.

I would advise anyone thinking about purchasing this skimmer, once assembled, hang it on the front or side of your tank first. Once it's plugged in, watch the 2 "nuts" that hold the pump assembly in place. If not tight enough, these will leak. More on that, including photos, in a bit.

A note, about the photos. All photos were taken today, shortly after tinkering with it a little bit. Yesterday, within about 2 hours of being installed and plugged in, it was already pulling GUNK. It was wet gunk, but it was also DARK gunk. Today, while tinkering with it, I had set the collection cup a little low, so it was skimming even more wet. Because of this, you'll see a slightly dark skimmate. While taking photos, the collection cup is actually set slightly high. Still figuring out the final adjustments, while the skimmer breaks in. However, I was very pleasantly surprised, yesterday, to empty the cup, which was half full, of dark, nasty, smelly gunk!

Oh another note. These photos were taken, with the skimmer hanging on the front of the tank, to facilitate taking pictures. So, keep that in mind, as you view them. Most of the photos are showing the back of the skimmer.

5821814640_37f1b46f1f_b.jpg

Overall, the dimensions are 8" wide, by 14" tall (not including the collection cup, which will add more heigth) by 6". The body is only 3 1/2", so you'll only need 3 1/2" between the wall and your tank!

Again, yesterday, this collection cup was half full, with DARK, Smelly, GUNK! In this photo, you'll see a slightly dark, wet skimmate, but that's because of me tinkering with it.

5821819710_51b9618cd9_b.jpg

Side View

5821815376_cd4f09eb74_b.jpg

Top View with lid on collection cup

5821252347_8660962d92_b.jpg

Lid removed

5821817708_01269ca809_b.jpg

5821816654_11a9443eef_b.jpg

I'm very impressed, with the build quality and design, however, here's the only complaint I have, though it's not a big complaint.

When assembling the motor, or actually, attaching to motor assembly to the skimmer body, there are 2 nuts that need to be attached and tightened. The area where the pump goes is quite small. It's very difficult to get the nuts tightened and I have small hands...lol.

5821254891_f9e4318343_b.jpg

The opening measures 7 1/8" X 4 1/4". Within this area is the pump, along with the 2 nuts you need to tighten and the air hose. Attach the air hose last. Also, attach one nut, (the left hand one is easiest, FIRST, but don't completely tighten it, then swing the pump into the opening and attach the second nut. Then squeeze a couple of fingers in there to tighten both of them. Then, put a towel on the floor, because as soon as you plug it in, you'll most likely find that you didn't tighten the nuts enough...lol. :doh:

Unplug the skimmer, completely dry the water, that's in the pump opening, tighten the nuts and plug it back in, checking to make sure nothing is leaking.

This process took me 3 tries...lol.

NOW, onto my next complaint, also a small one, but could be critical if you've never operated a skimmer. No instructions and the secret to priming.

If you look closely, at the left hand chamber (viewed from behind), this is the water intake chamber, you'll notice a nipple on the black pipe. This nipple has a rubber cap. When the skimmer is put together and hanging on your tank, UNPLUGGED, fill the skimmer completely up with water, through the center chamber, by removing the collection cup and pouring water into this. Fill the skimmer until water starts to pour out of the output, back into the tank. Now, get a container that holds at least 1/2 gallon of water, I used a gallon pitcher. Remove the rubber cap from the nipple. You'll need to fill that chamber with water, to a level ABOVE that nipple and then, QUICKLY put the cap back on the nipple, while the nipple is still submerged.

Priming the skimmer is a bit tricky. At first, I filled it up with water, and plugged it in. Nothing happened, so I instantly unplugged it. It seems an air pocket gets trapped, inside the pump. Opening that nipple releases the air pocket. BUT, you need to fill above the nipple and recap the nipple, to trap water inside it, to prime the skimmer.

I had to call SWC, to have this explained to me. Without priming this way, someone could easily burn up this pump.

All in all, so far, I'm very impressed with this skimmer and I believe it's going to ROCK! My only complaints are lack of documentation, in the packaging, and the small area where the pump needs to be attached. Neither are a large complaint though.

This skimmer is SILENT!! It comes with a "silencer," but it's not needed. I actually removed it, to see if it made any difference. Nope, still SILENT!!

In the last chamber, there is a black sponge, to trap micro bubbles. There's also a round sponge provided, that can be put on the output pipe, to trap bubbles. I do not have that round sponge installed and NO bubbles are being released into the tank. The design is very good, in that, initially, the water from the pump moves into the left hand chamber, then under and around the center chamber, into the right hand chamber, trapping all bubbles in the left hand chamber. Looking at the right hand chamber, there are NO bubbles, under that sponge, so I'll probably remove it.

Back