Recipe for Oxypora "chalice" recovery?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BryNik

I have one that has all but died and one eye is coming back. I gave up on it and the plug ended up in the pod farm (rubble pile). Lo and behold: it returneth. Leads me to believe it was getting too much light, possibly too much flow.

In my DIY LED setup I'm currently running 52w 455nm blue, 28w 10k white and 80w 14k white. It's pretty dang bright. I have a full refugium that's almost 1/2 the volume of my display and just recently started skimming. Params are all normal, but calcium has always ran pretty high (it has spiked up to 700, I thought I had a string of bad test kits.) I'm not using calcium supplements anymore and everything is getting back to normal levels.

I've got a fresh start with good params and my question is: where do I put the frag? Thanks in advance.
confused.gif

-BryNik

I have come to believe that Chalices like Ricordia seem to do better when placed at an angle to the light or indirect lighting reflected off sides of glass/acrylic and medium flow. I have nursed two very ragged Chalices back from the grave and all seem to be handeling the new LED lighting just fine.

Cheers, Todd

Chalices are funny and can change drastically depending on lighting, but for most I run low in the tank or under somewhat shaded areas.

Back