Recommendations on UV sterilizer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Recife

I'm planning on buying a UV sterilizer.
Any recommendations for a 125 gal tank?

The main reason why I'm looking for one is because I've been over feeding because I have a Moorish Idol in my tank. I increased my water changes, but I want something else to help. Maybe an ozonizer would be better?

I'm planning on buying a UV sterilizer.
Any recommendations for a 125 gal tank?

The main reason why I'm looking for one is because I've been over feeding because I have a Moorish Idol in my tank. I increased my water changes, but I want something else to help. Maybe an ozonizer would be better?

Ozonizers and UV really do two separate things.

UV is primarily designed to kill floating algal spores and various parasites that are normally free-floating or are in a free floating stage.

Ozone oxidizes organics and creates crystal clear water, it often reduces algae or stops the spread of that algae, oxidizes organic toxins (chemical warfare), etc.

I highly recommend reading the first several articles here closely http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=502#post502

If your main problem is elevated nutrients, you are better off tuning your protein skimmer better or upgrading that prior to going the UV/Ozone route if money is an issue. JMHO.

Money is not an issue. I mean, I don't want to spend over the odds, but I'm willing to invest in one.

Recife,

Please describe your issues so we can help better.

Are you experiencing excess Nitrates?
Are you getting problem algaes?
Are you getting parasites on your Idol?

etc, etc, and so on.

Sure. The main problem is algea. That brown film growing on the glass. The phosphates don't show high, but I suspect my test kit is not reliable.
Nitrates, etc are under control. No parasites.

Back