Recommended Calcium Reactor/Nitrate Reactor for 180g mixed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sgflyboy

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and already found a lot of beneficial info. I recently combined several tanks into one 180g reef ready tank. I also have a 55g sump/refugium. I am trying to find out what the best Calcium Reactor I can buy for my money. It's going to put a dent in the wallet, but pay for itself in the long run. This will be a low budget project at first and will replace as my system grows and its needs. I am mainly looking at something to get me buy for the next year or so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This tank will be mixed and already has about 40 sps frags ranging from 1/2" to 2" and several mushrooms and misc. I have clams on the way as well. Thanks for your time everyone.

P.S. Also looking for Nitrate Reactor info as well.

WELCOME TO REEF FRONTIERS

If you only intend to use this for a year, I wouldn't bother with a Calcium reactor. I would just dose Kalk which is really cheap.

If you want to go the reactor route now, I would pay more for something that will last the lifetime of your tanks. Like you said, more expensive now but it's cheaper in the long run.

Additional information that I need to add

Thanks for the reply. Let me also add that I am true "road warrior" meaning I travel every week and I am sometimes gone 3 weeks at a time. The main reason I went with the 180 was so that it could be self sustained with minimal maintenance. My wife is there daily and she can do some minor things, but when it comes to additives, it's hard to get her involved. She loves the look of the tank and all the great stuff to view but she doesn't like to get anymore involved then that LOL. I would normally dose with Kalk when home, but with me being gone so much I was looking at having to invest in a calcium reactor. With my load being minimul right now and finances low as well, I was hoping to find an inexpensive unit to get me by and invest in a much more efficient unit down the road. Any more info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Shane

Back