Recommended Sump Size?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brandyrb

What size sump should be used for a 300 gal aquarium? I believe it is 8' long 30" wide and 27" tall. We will be using 2 barracudas, one for a closed loop and one for return.

We currently have an acrylic 125 tank that we originally planned on using as a sump, but it doesn't have any baffles, refugium or anything yet. It is 6' long and 18" wide. I don't know how tall.

We can also buy a nice custom made 73 gal sump (50 gal high flow & 23 gal refugium), but we're not sure if that would handle our tank size and the amount of flow.

I would use the 125 gallon acrylic tank for your sump/refuge, have the water flow into a compartment with the skimmer (so it can get most of the crude out) and heater then flow through another compartment that contains a DSB for nitrate control and macro algaes for nutrient control. The water could then go through a couple baffles to avoid any microbubble problems and be pumped back to the tank. Just remember to keep the flow through the sump/refugium nice and slow or you'll be battling microbubbles (you will probably end up having to really restrict your barracuda that returns water back to the display).

wow or u can get a coustom tank that holds even more water and use taht as ur sump it would work nice. maybe a 150g.

Back