Red Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquatic Guru

My friend has a 40 gallan breeder. I just seen his tank and it's full of red algae. It's like long and hairy-like. It's growing all over his coral on the bottom of his tank and it looks like it's starting to spread all over his tank. Could anyone help me explain what could be the cause of this and what can he do to get rid of it?

Sounds almost like cyno...There is probably very high nitrate and phosphate levels in there. Have you guys tested for them?:)

The first thing to do would be to do some water testing. Find out what the nitrates and phospates are (if they register). Is there a skimmer on the tank and is it working? How is the water change schedule? Does the water change water test positive for nitrates and/or phosphates? Is RO/DI water being used? How are the lights? How old is the tank? What is the bioload like, and what is the feeding schedule? Are there any additives being used? What is the substrate if any?

Sorry for all the questions, but these might help find the source of nutrients.

The first thing to do would be to do some water testing. Find out what the nitrates and phospates are (if they register). Is there a skimmer on the tank and is it working? How is the water change schedule? Does the water change water test positive for nitrates and/or phosphates? Is RO/DI water being used? How are the lights? How old is the tank? What is the bioload like, and what is the feeding schedule? Are there any additives being used? What is the substrate if any?

Sorry for all the questions, but these might help find the source of nutrients.

I'm pretty sure there's high nitrates in his tank. Phosphate is a definite possibility. He has bio balls in his wet/dry and is very lazy to remove to bio balls. He has a remora hang on and it works well.He does his water changes once a month maybe about 4 gallons at a time.He is using ro/di water. He leaves his lights on very long from 11 to 7, but I told him to decrease that. His tank is in front of curtains but the curtains are always close, but I still think the sunlight still penetrates in the tank somehow. Tank is about 4 months old. Feeding probably once a day. Additives, I'm not sure. He is using some kind of phosphate thing to remove phosphate. That's all I kind say. Pretty much I'm disapointed in my friend. He has a very busy life andit's hard for him to maintain it. Then again he loves to sleep his life away. Wouldn't wake up early to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of. He says sleeps come first. That's BS right there! The guys sleeps an avg of 10 to 12 hours a day. Well...I don't know..it's his money not mine. I told him that he might have to just start all over.

Could anyone help me explain what could be the cause of this and what can he do to get rid of it?

You answered your own question right here...:)

I'm pretty sure there's high nitrates in his tank. Phosphate is a definite possibility. He has bio balls in his wet/dry and is very lazy to remove to bio balls. He has a remora hang on and it works well.He does his water changes once a month maybe about 4 gallons at a time.He is using ro/di water. He leaves his lights on very long from 11 to 7, but I told him to decrease that. His tank is in front of curtains but the curtains are always close, but I still think the sunlight still penetrates in the tank somehow. Tank is about 4 months old. Feeding probably once a day. Additives, I'm not sure. He is using some kind of phosphate thing to remove phosphate. That's all I kind say. Pretty much I'm disapointed in my friend. He has a very busy life andit's hard for him to maintain it. Then again he loves to sleep his life away. Wouldn't wake up early to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of. He says sleeps come first. That's BS right there! The guys sleeps an avg of 10 to 12 hours a day.

As for a fix...Slowly get rid of the bio-balls. Cut back on the photoperiod a bit and do some big water changes to dilute that old tank water. Getting rid of the bio-balls alone should decrease some of the nitrates and give the live rock a chance to do it's thing:)

Last edited:
I actually don't think an 8 hour photoperiod is that bad. I run mine 9 hours. Since the tank is only 4 months old, it could just be going through its algae cycles, too. Did he stock it quickly? What kind of substrate?

HEY 20, dont hate on the stocking quick style you know we all be doing it.

but it sounds pritty reqular. water peramters elavated = algae

Back