Red Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What I think is happening is a case of old tank syndrome. Some times in an established system if the proper up keep has not been preformed for that tank for a long time or inadequate skimming you can just basically clog up all the rock and or sand in the system with too much “junk”. Water changes would do nothing for this and lowering the light per day will do nothing as it is only a temporary fix. The cause has to be eliminated. When you go back to normal it will just come back. Old bulbs will not cause this to grow any more then new bulbs will. I think after looking over your thread that the only way to really fix the problem is to do a thorough cleaning and if you use a canister filter to collect the free floating partials and GAC to help clean the water is what it’s going to take IMO. A refrugium is the best control of this type of algae or bacteria. You can also just wait it out. When it uses up all the nutrients in the water that its consuming it will die off but that may take a while and if you have any corals in your tank that would not be a good thing to have it covering the corals. Using a UV sterilizer will also do nothing for this kind of condition. The bottom line is way to much organic matter rotting in the system for the system to keep up with it. You need to get it out.

Good luck with your endeavors in removing this nuisance. I'm just getting over a cyano issue. Weekly water changes, cutting back on feeding, and a longer photoperiod in the sump helped to cut down on their nutrient availability.

You can also get a turkey baster and squirt the cyano off of the sand or rock when you see it starting to form. Good flow throughout the tank will inhibit its ability to hold on to one place.

Good luck with your endeavors in removing this nuisance. I'm just getting over a cyano issue. Weekly water changes, cutting back on feeding, and a longer photoperiod in the sump helped to cut down on their nutrient availability.

You can also get a turkey baster and squirt the cyano off of the sand or rock when you see it starting to form. Good flow throughout the tank will inhibit its ability to hold on to one place.

yeah blasting off your rocks with a baster seems like good practice all around assuming you have proper filtration set up

Red algae needs nutrients to grow..things to cause nutrients to appear: not enough flow in the tank, feeding too much, old lights that need to be changed, skimmer not working optimally

what kinda lights do you have?
how much do you feed?
how long do you leave the lights on? (try cutting down the photo period a couple of hrs)
what kinda skimmer do you have? (try skimming a little wet temporarily); you should be emptying your collection cup at least once a week..

doing WC is good, but I would wait at least 2-3 days in between WC as to not add stress to the tank.

HTH,
Kirk

Red algae needs nutrients to grow..things to cause nutrients to appear: not enough flow in the tank, feeding too much, old lights that need to be changed, skimmer not working optimally

what kinda lights do you have?
how much do you feed?
how long do you leave the lights on? (try cutting down the photo period a couple of hrs)
what kinda skimmer do you have? (try skimming a little wet temporarily); you should be emptying your collection cup at least once a week..

doing WC is good, but I would wait at least 2-3 days in between WC as to not add stress to the tank.

HTH,
Kirk

Hey.
Here is what I know. I feed once, sometimes twice a day. Usually a sliver (1/2) of a mysis shrimp cube. And, later in the day some dry pellets. Too much?

My lights are AquaticLife 72" long. And, about 7-8 months old.

My skimmer is an Aqua C with overflow can. Seems to do ok. I'll clean the skimmer 1-2 a week. And, empty the can every 1-2 weeks.

The lights first set comes on at 11am, followed by the other set at 12pm. First set off at 8pm, last set off at 10pm. Followed by nite LED's on at 10pm, off at 2am. I went with the later start and stop times due to our family. So we could enjoy it when we're home. And, the kids are always playing with the lights on at night before bed.

The tank is in my basement, and gets indirect light from the sliding glass door on the other side of the room.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Last edited:
How many fish do you have in the tank and what kinds? I don’t see many in the picture. From what I can see in the picture I’d say yes you are feeding way to much. But I’m sure you have more then the 2 fish I see in the picture. I can’t seem much about the sump but do you have a refrugium in it some ware? If no what are you doing about nitrates in the tank? The problem with the chromis fish is they really need to eat 3 to 5 times a day and that makes if hard to feed on in a tank that big with out overfeeding.

How many fish do you have in the tank and what kinds? I don’t see many in the picture. From what I can see in the picture I’d say yes you are feeding way to much. But I’m sure you have more then the 2 fish I see in the picture. I can’t seem much about the sump but do you have a refrugium in it some ware? If no what are you doing about nitrates in the tank? The problem with the chromis fish is they really need to eat 3 to 5 times a day and that makes if hard to feed on in a tank that big with out overfeeding.

I have about 7 fish in there right now. And, 4 cleaner shrimp, snails, two small hermits.

I have no refrugium, just a 40 gallon sump.

Cut your photo period from 8hrs to 6hrs until the red algae is completely gone..(corals can live on 6hrs of light.)

Have you measured the TDS of your RO water?
When was the last time the filters and membranes of your unit were changed?
Does you skimmer use the bio balls ? if so, this can be a source of nitrates..

Last edited:
Cut your photo period from 8hrs to 6hrs until the red algae is completely gone..(corals can live on 6hrs of light.)

Have you measured the TDS of your RO water?
When was the last time the filters and membranes of your unit were changed?
Does you skimmer use the bio balls ? if so, this can be a source of nitrates..

Yes, TDS is reading 0. Just changed the DI mater two weeks ago too.
No, bio balls.
I was thinking of lowering the light times too.

I agree with NC2WA
Lowering the light period will work to reduce the red slime but if you don’t do something to rid it from the tank the moment you increase the lighting again it will just be back and maybe even worse then before. I really think you are having a nitrate or phosphate problem and you are just not picking it up on the test because of the amount of algae in the tank is using it up as fast as it is being produces. You can get nitrate absorbing material from your local pet store and even phosphate absorbing material too and give it a try. You could probably find a way to put them in the sump.

An idea would be to put a light on the sump and turn it into an algae scrubber. You could do this with some window screen material and just build a frame to hold it and set it in the water just a inch or so below the surface and shine the light on that. It will very quickly start growing algae and that way you can give the algae a place to grow other then your nice display tank. You can do a search for algae scrubbers and there are lots of ideas on how to build them and they all work. The bottom line is give the algae a place to really grow and it will mostly stay where you want it.

Could put in a little fuge in a rubbermaid container with a light and grow some macro to suck up the phosphates/nitrates?

My fuge seems to do a great job keeping algae out of my display

How could this be!!!!

I just did a 32'ish gallon water change on Saturday. My Phos looks real good, but my nitrate is a strong 10, if not approaching 20 ppm. WTF?!?!?!

Or am I reading into this number too much?

My thoughts are that because you are physically removing the algae from the tank that now there is not enough algae to consume the nitrates in the water as fast as they are being produces. That is why many people that have a lot of algae in the tank detect 0 nitrates, its being consumed as fast as it is being produced.

Water changes are the best quickest way to reduce the nitrates. If you want a more long term control you really need a refrugium to grow macros or buy or make a denitrater. You can do a search for coil denitrater and find lots of easy plans to build one for cheep that would be low maintenance and fit in your sump.

I fought some red slime for a while, and because the room my tank is in has a lot of natural light I still have some algae. The best thing I ever did to stop the red slime was really increase flow, and cut lights to 8 hours per day. I have been paying attention to feeding better, but the biggest difference came with increasing and redirecting flow. No dead spots=no red slime.

Back