Red Cyano?? (Asparagopsis)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, my plan at the moment is to keep siphoning out the fuzz and bubbles carefully. I plan on adding a sump soon and a phosphate reactor to the sump, so at that point maybe Ill take the rock out and "scrub" it clean. Get a fresh clean start...
Thanks for all the input!

at my own expence, Ill tell you this

what ever you do, turn off the flow b4 destrubing the algae

at my own expence, Ill tell you this

what ever you do, turn off the flow b4 destrubing the algae

That pic you have of the red carpeting algae is a problem i'm having now- how did u ultimately get rid of it?? I keep sucking it out-- but it grows back in a few days.. should I just do aggresive water changes every few days of like 25% or so? I have two bio filters running and a octopus protein skimmer running heavy duty.. 50gal tank here.. let me know- this stuff is annoying!! :eek:

meny options,

reduced feeding...

RODI water.

water changes

reduced lighting

not cleaning your bio filters (leting ditrus brake down) (fueling effect)

cheimclean.

I did several things, to get rid of that....

that was 5 months ago... the red slime was in my main tank..

i installed a sump with 24 hour lighting, I slowly grew the brypsis algea, (that is 1 million times worse) in the sump over powering the long hard battle for the main tank..

I have slime aglea, battle'n out in the sump now...

the bryposis is a super strong, eazly grow aglae that i beleave is whiping out parts of the ocean... every time you touch it, it would spread. it need's nothing really to grow..

my levels are what i consiter to be great. 0,0,0, my tests dont detect, cause the bryopsis sucks up what ever's in the water and grows (fast)

If i were you (i hate saying that)
I would
be patient,
I would do more water changes (only if useing good clean 0 TDS water)
wont do no good if your adding water that contains Phospates and nitrate,

whats your water stats?

mainly no3, ph4

I would not add anything that you dont test for....

time will tell

Well... I have to say my "cotton candy" algae is getting worse! Ive been sucking it out and doing water changes weekly. Don't have the water or funds to do more than that. I need an RODI unit!!!
Anyway, every time I do a water change I get a glob bigger than a softball, maybe bigger. The extra "turbo" snails seem to run from the stuff. I will be getting my phosphate filter tomorrow, i hope. I will be switching to frozen formula 1, hopefully that helps.

what are you top'n off water with?

what are you useing to mix your water?

if your not useing good clean water, most likely then your water changes, arent really help as much as they could (or at all)

Update:
Well I have been doing water changes every week and Siphoning out the cotton candy fuzz as well as the green bubbles.
I did add a 20gal sump with a phosban filter and since then a lot of the red cotton candy has died back and been replaced with cyano slime. I also just added some true Mexican turbo snails and they DO eat the red algae! I plan on picking up a few more to get a handle on this stuff. Well see if it gets better...

Another Update:
The fuzz algae is all but gone! Just a couple little patches left, but I bet in another day or so, it will be gone completely!
I think it was a combination of the phosphate filter and 6 Mexican turbos. Its so nice to look at the rock and actually SEE the rock. hehe

sheesh what is that giant thing with spines on it? Is that a brittle star or worms?
Debbie the blue devil damsel :badgrin: :badgrin: :evil:

i think i know where that comes from.

I set up aquariums on occasion and when people want to put it on the fasdt track,i will use all live sand.On two occasions due to the unavailabilty of my favorite blend of Carib-sea ''figi pink'',and special grade reef sand,i had to set up 2 with one of their other [what i thought was simmilar]grades called west caribeian reef sand.Both aquariums bloomed,mostly in the sump with this fuzzy looking red algae.Definatlly not cyno and easy to remove if you get right on it and do so with all pumps off.Takes a few attempts.Just currious did you also use this west caribiean live sand?

Back