red fromia star help!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rycko_427

emerald crab
I have a red fromia star fish and its seems as if its loosing legs. I think it might be because something is eating it but I'm not sure. Here are some picture and maybe you could help me figure out what is going on with the star fish.

dXgti.jpg

ZtVVB.jpg

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I had one of those. They lose legs when they are stressed. It died when there was a big fluctuation in salinity due to an ATO malfuntion. What are you parameters? Also have you had any recent fluctuations in your salinity. By the way, if you measuring salinity with a hydrometer throw it away and invest in a good refractometer. For that matter invest in a good ATO!

What size is the tank and how mature is the system?

Starfish if added to the reef aquarium should only be added after at least 6 months or maybe closer to a year from start up. As Emerald525 mentioned, starfish will lose legs if they become stressed. This could be due to a number of things.

Have you target fed the little guy?

Well i checked my perameters yesterday, and everything was o.k. except for my salinity was a little high, so I'm guessing that this is cuz of the salinity:/ and yeah I do have a hydrometer, but I ordered a refractometer recently so hopfully i can get my salinity back to a stable level...
Its a 30gal tank and I've had it going for about 4 months...and I havnt target fed it, cuz the guy I bought it from said that it wasnt necessary to target feed him..

have u ever touched it with ur hands? i heard that the oil from our hands can be the cause for starfish to loose their legs. i could be wrong though.

Well i checked my perameters yesterday, and everything was o.k. except for my salinity was a little high, so I'm guessing that this is cuz of the salinity:/ and yeah I do have a hydrometer, but I ordered a refractometer recently so hopfully i can get my salinity back to a stable level...
Its a 30gal tank and I've had it going for about 4 months...and I havnt target fed it, cuz the guy I bought it from said that it wasn't necessary to target feed him..

Do you have an ATO?? Make sure you are topping off your evaporated water with fresh RODI and not salt water. You have to do this pretty consistently or your salinity will fluctuate too much and stress the system. Stars are very sensitive to changes in salinity especially.

No I dont have an ATO, should I get one? Do you think its more important than a refractometer? Yea I usually try and top of my tank every couple of days with freashwater not salt.

No I dont have an ATO, should I get one? Do you think its more important than a refractometer? Yea I usually try and top of my tank every couple of days with freashwater not salt.

Keeping a consistent salinity is, in my opinion, the most important and basic functions to keeping a successful system. The chemistry of the water and all of that truly means jack if you don't have your salinity stabilized. An ATO will absolutely do that for you. SUPER critical. Now as far as what is more important, a refractometer or an ATO?? BOTH since you won't be able to know exactly what your salinity is without a tool to accurately measure it. So start with that and then, if you don't have an ATO yet, be sure to mark your water level in your sump(if you have one) or on your tank. Never let the water level fluctuate to an extreme degree. A little fluctuation is pretty normal, after all an ATO tops off your system when the water level drops enough to trigger whatever sensor it uses; however big drops in water level is caused by the freshwater evaporating out of the system, therefore increasing the amount of salt in whatever water is left. Very very very damaging to your system when this happens and there are wild swings in the salinity. Probably the most beneficial thing you could ever do is use an ATO.

Back