Red hair algae ... in a new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thorsanderson

LazyReefer
So i have a 20gal tall nano. I set it up around four weeks ago. I have a fair amount of red hair algae. Should I be worried or is this normal in new tanks? Some information on my tank: Four nano pumps. I use RO water and top of with RO. I have crappy power compact lights (2*65watts). Bulbs are a crappy brand that I hate. I am replacing this with new MH today (once I finish building a hood.) I have a couple SPS corals, Softies, Xeinia that pump well,
and hammer, and zoo's that all look good.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

-Thor

There's a chance that the change in lighting will spur the hair algae on even more. From my experience, it's a tough one to get rid of, other than manual removal. I used a Spotted Rabbit fish to cure my problem. I'd wanted one anyway. Unfortunately, that's not possible in your nano. Good luck!!

Problem solved. New light = no problem

There's a chance that the change in lighting will spur the hair algae on even more. From my experience, it's a tough one to get rid of, other than manual removal. I used a Spotted Rabbit fish to cure my problem. I'd wanted one anyway. Unfortunately, that's not possible in your nano. Good luck!!

well if it comes back you can always add a court jester goby or hector's goby...lawnmower blenny would clear it up too but you would have to move him

Check for phospates and nitrates...these are usually the cluprits...

Back