Red Hair Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lbrewer34

Hey all, have had a decent infestation of red hair algae for the past month. At first, I thought it was coralline because the color was deep red and until recently didn't have a hair like appearance. Did the gambit of tests and figured its coming from several sources:
1) My water changes were much more infrequent than normal. I usually do 10% weekly, but started a full college load in biology and chemistry, so that changed to 30% every three weeks.
2) My lights are past their change date, by about 3 months. I am running power compacts; 1 96w 50/50 and 1 96w 420/460mn blue.
3) Overfeeding. Know it happens
Solutions:
1) Regular water changes. Turkey baste and suction
2) Replace lights. They aren't cheap, so I was thinking of removing my 50/50 bulb and running 2 96w blues until I get the bulbs in.
3) Feed less. Think I will go to once a day for the fish.
4) Test my ro/di water
Had a big coral die off about 4 months ago so I have a little more flexibility in what all I can do, any suggestions are welcome. Below are my tank readings:
Nitrates: 20ppm, pH: 8.2-8.8 depending on the test kit, phosphate: 0.5ppm, sg 1.021, mg: 1000ppm, Ca: 400ppm.
Thanks for the advice and comments.
Lee

I have always had testable nitrates that hover at 20 ppm, but I my nitrate test is a bit older and API, not sure exactly how accurate they are. My nitrates didn't even drop below 20ppm when I added the skimmer.

So I did a lot of blowing and syphoning the algae with a water change today and what do you know, I found three little survivor soft corals. They are a bit small for me to identify but it'll be fun trying to nurse them back.

Be careful with blowing algae. By doing so, you can cause it to spread to other areas of the tank as the spores are released into the water column.

Good luck with the algae!! You seem to be on the right track. If you run any sponges, filter socks, floss etc, be sure to keep them either changed or cleaned every 3 days or so. A lot of people neglect them leaving them too long which in turn degrades your water quality adding to your nitrate issues. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you know, now that you mention it, i do run a eheim canister filter with activated carbon. the bottom third is filled with round lava rock pebbles. I put the carbon packet on top of the pebbles and there is a media sponge that i put on to of that. I clean it and change out the carbon every other month or so, should I modify this?

Think I should remove the canister filter completely? I don't really need it, I was mainly using it to run carbon. I could take everything out except the carbon or just remove it from the system. Thoughts?

Think I should remove the canister filter completely? I don't really need it, I was mainly using it to run carbon. I could take everything out except the carbon or just remove it from the system. Thoughts?

If you want to use it to run carbon that is fine, but I'd take everything else out of it. This is mainly what people will use a canister filter for. Basically just to run carbon. :)

if you are careful to not wash the lava rock pepples you have that can also create a good cyrptic zone filter area too - which can add to your biodiversity :)

I'd just take the media filter pad out - leave the carbon and rocks in for filtration - and be sure to change the carbon monthly, if not even more often than that!

So I've got the algae on the run. I reduced my feeding amount, upped my salinity, increased my Ca & Mg, and started adding sugar as a source of organic carbon. I kept the 10,000k light off for about a week and went through all my equipment and removed any type of media filter. I had two in the canister filter and found one in my return pump. I still have some of it around, but at least it isn't spreading like before. Thanks for all the advice!!

Me too. That algae I had was such a deep red, actually looked really nice until it started taking over everything. Unfortunately, it looks like it choked out a lot of my coraline. Most areas where there was heavy red algae are now bleach white. Could be because of the higher Ca levels, but I'd rather have the bleach white for now than the aggressive algae. I'll give it another two weeks or so to stabilize, get some new bulbs in then start adding some softies. I have some kenya and some pulsing xenia now, but they are the survivors of the big die off. Can't wait to get it back into shape.

For short term treatment of red slime CHEMICLEAN is awsome. Never experienced any negative side effects and it makes the water pristine.

Oh, and for long term, Vodka dosing is a decisive solution. I solved my long term Nitrate problem by Vodka dosing. My Nitrate levels have stayed near zero for a long time despite heavy feeding and a pretty high bio-load. It takes a few weeks of patience and regular measurements, but once you find the right dose for your tank, Nitrate problem will be gone for good.

I was going to vodka dose, then realized I had little to no vodka but bags of sugar. Cheaper and I didn't have to run to the liquor store. The sugar dosing seems to be working really well. I have to clean and test today so I'll see where my nitrates and phosphates are. I started with 1/4 tsp then gradually worked up to 1 tsp where i am now. Don't know if I feel comfortable going above that. Most of the algae is gone so as long as my nitrates and phosphates are low I'll probably stick with that.

Back