Red Monti ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
This is some sort of red encrusting monti - does anyone know if it has a name?

redmonti.jpg

and with flash:

redmontiflash.jpg

Looks like Red Montipora Nodosa

I don't know if there's a technical way to put it, but you know how on, say, the sunset montiporas the polyps are large and spaced widely vs. a rainbow monti that has smaller polyps closer together - the red nodosa looks like it has large polyps spaced widely while this red one has the small polyps closer together.

The nodosa has little bumps aka nodes scattered between the polyps. Some are close, some are wider spaced. The Danaes like sunset, superman, rainbow typically has much smother mantle tissue

The nodosa has little bumps aka nodes scattered between the polyps. Some are close, some are wider spaced. The Danaes like sunset, superman, rainbow typically has much smother mantle tissue

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification!

Hm, the base layer seems to be turning blue/purplish!

wildmonti.jpg

Btw - a hitchiker on the monti... I think it might be a cynarina? But then... maybe not. It has a very pretty baby blue outer rim. As you can see, the monti is slowly encroaching upon it. I think I should probably try to frag it off? And I just noticed the little anemone-like thing beneath the hitchhiker... probably a bad anem.

hitchhikercoral.jpg

Back