Red Saddle Clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xanthus

I have a 55g 48" marine tank (pure fish atm), set up with an Eheim 2215 cannister filter, and Red Sea Hang-On skimmer (which I'm thinking of replacing).

It's been up for about two to three months now, fully cycled. Fish wise I have a Red Saddle / Fire Clown (love him, even though he happens to be a little fish with a big ego :lol:), two Sergeant Major Damsels (that I used to cycle the tank - I wasn't aware there were alternatives at the time), a Coral Angel Beauty and Milk Sleeper Goby (thinking this particular Goby might go by another name as I haven't found all that much info on him, but that's what my LFS sold him to me as).

I can return the Damsels anytime (though they haven't chased anyone around since I put the Clown in the tank), but I'm looking for some good tank mates for the other fish (I'm into smaller fish mostly, and I don't know if I'll go reef sometime down the line).

I remember being told Red Saddles are generally only aggressive to other fish of similar body types (doesn't seem far from the truth, mine completely ignores my Coral Beauty and Goby but chases the Damsels around like nothing else).

I was originally looking at Anthias, but after reading up on them it looks like my 55g isn't nearly enough.

My LFS recommended Cardinals, Tangs, Dragon Wrasse, and Coral Catfish (I hear they sting). Any others I might consider?

Last question, can Red Saddles be paired? Always wanted two... but assuming it'd be dangerous. :(

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

the cardinals might get abused by the damsels. The clowns are usually protective of the anenome or what they live in. I would get something not to big but big enough to protect itself. the coral catfish are not a good idea. maybe a flame hawk if you dont have shrimp. most tangs wont fit good in a 55 except a yellow which is tight. A kole or a scopas tang. maybe a wrasse like a sixline.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I agree with Brad on the 6-line wrasse. Mine is very enjoyable to watch. Here is an article about the 6-line and related species: ...Four, Six, Eight, Who Do We Appreciate? Wrasses! Wrasses! The Genus Pseudocheilinus

I don't know that I would attempt to add another Red Saddleback/Fire Clownfish in a 55 gallon. According to Marine Fishes, by Scott Michael:

...this is an aggressive fish that will punish other anemonefishes and smaller, more-passive tankmates. Will also fight among themselves. Best kept singly or in mated pairs and only with larger or more-pugnacious species.

Have you considered a Blackcap Basslet/Blackcap Gramma or a Royal Gramma for your tank?

How much live rock and substrate do you have?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll probably take the Damsels out, as they're being run around pretty good by the Clownfish.

I'll look into the Basslets, Grammas and Wrasse. :)

Also, I don't actually have any live rock at the moment (just base rock). My LFS said it wouldn't do very well with my lighting (two 18" Marine-GLO bulbs, I think). Would better lighting be a worthy investment at the moment?

Substrate wise, I have about an inch of sand.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
You don't have to have good light to keep live rock in the tank. The live rock will provide biological filtration and give the fish a sense of security. If you do decide to add live rock, do it slowly since you already have fish in the tank. There may be a little die off that will spike a mini-cycle if added too quickly. If you are going to have a reef tank in the future, then ideally you want to shoot for 1-2 pounds of live rock for every gallon of water. Again, this can be done slowly.

OK - I just reread your post and saw you have baserock. How many pounds do you have? The base rock becomes live after it gets populated with bacteria. You could add a small piece of liverock and introduce some pods to start propagating in the tank.

Oh, I didn't know that about base rock. I'd say I probably have 20-25 pounds at the moment.

Thanks!

EDIT: Btw, what are pods? :oops:

Sorry, kind of new to this. :lol:

Last edited:
Kudos for the links!

Something else I thought was interesting. The Angel and Damsels move around when they sleep (I can only assume they're sleeping, unless they never sleep - but I always thought that was normal), but the Clown plops himself up alongside the magnet I use to clean the tank. First time I ever saw it I thought he was dead. :oops:

EDIT: I was in another local fish store today. They had a Pseudochromis pair they said would do pretty well in my tank. Or they said I could look into a school of Blue-Green Chromis, provided I take the Damsels out (but would the Clown bother them?). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back