"Red Sea Aquarium's" fact or fiction?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

alizar185

When deciding on which "kind" of Aquarium I want to set up, is there any truth to the myth that If you would like to include some Red Sea fish, invertabrates, and the like, then you should go stricktly Red Sea, due to it's higher salinity requirements?
Ive read that the Red Sea has a much higher salinity content than the other 2,(indo-pacific and carribean) and your inhabitants would do a lot better and flourish more in the higher salinity?
The dealer here in Portland says that it doesen't matter. That you can mix inhabitants that are found only in the Red Sea, (and enjoy, if not require highr salinity rates) with the other species found in the other Oceans around the world.
Any input on this from you experienced aquarists would be greatly appreciated.
I mean I think the guy is an allright guy and all, or is he just pushing his products?
Thanx, Steve

Yes, you can mix them but they need to go through an acclimation process. You don't just dump Red Sea's into a Salinity of 40 + ppt from 33-36 ppt. And yes, they will do better in A Red Sea environment.

A red sea tank could be crazy, blonde naso, Desjardini salfin, regal angel, purple tang and all the others. Very nice

Back