Red Sea Max: Good for beginners?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Laurent

Hello,

After about 20 years of experience with fresh water, I am considering going to the next level and purchasing a RedSea Max tank. I like it because all the ugly plumbing is nicely integrated and the tank is visually very pleasing.

My plan is to populate it with a 5 / 7 cm layer of aragonite sand and about 10 kgs of live rock. Later, I will add the usual cleaning crew, then a couple of shrimps, a few gobies, tube worms and maybe some "easy" corals.

Does it make sense to you experienced reefers?

I am a bit concerned with the relatively small quantity of water (130 liters) in this tank because I know from experience that bigger is easier...

That sounds like a good plan to me, I really like the modular design of the tank too.

I say go for it! I would buy the tank, salt, sand, RO/DI unit, Test Kits, LR, Heater, etc. and get that all cycling. Then do a LOT of reading on how things work, what goes with what, etc. and by the time you're on the level of beggining to understand whats what (where most of us are), you can decide what to get. By that time, your tank will have cycled (3-4 weeks preferrably) and you can add your first fish or two, a couple of corals as well. Don't get damsels. As for corals, I would look into Softies(Leathers, Zoos, Mushrooms, etc.) and maybe LPS (Frogspawn, Hammerhead, etc.) for that since it will be easier to care for. Stay away from Anemones b/c it will get crowded fast.

And if you have any doubt that a softy tank will not look good :
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=680644

Thanks SB42, that helps.

Could you (or others) please elaborate a bit on the size of the tank? I had my best results in fresh water using significantly large tanks, about 500 liters or about 130 US gallons. I am truly concerned about starting a marine tank with "only" 100 l ( 30 gal) capacity...

It's true that bigger is sometimes better, yes. It of course allows more room for error. At the same time, you tend to spend more initially to set up as well. Personally I would say that from a begginers standpoint, go for something thats 20 Gallons or more. Having had a Freshwater 10G, things can change over the course of a matter of hours or less. Now having something that is 4 times larger, and being saltwater (having to deal with more parameters as well), It seems like things take a LOT longer in itself to actually start to change. This in turn, gives you more time to act on these changes and make the appropriate corrections (ie: water changes, phosphate removers, adding suppliments, etc.).

The size you're looking at of course has pro's and con's just like any other size tank. The fact that your tank will cost less to set up because its a "package" is of course a benefit. You'll use less salt, water, chemicals, Live Rock, Live Sand, and buy less livestock in order to fill this tank. On the other hand, having a tank that is comparably smaller, you'll end up with less room for error, less choices for livestock (no tangs), less ability to keep everything you want, etc.

Having a bigger tank, you get more choices in fish (you can have tangs), more room for error, the ability to keep a bigger range of species because of the added room, you get to keep more fish in numbers, etc. Its not to say that going bigger doesn't have its faults either. With a bigger tank, you have to spend more initially, use more salt for water changes, more water for water changes, there isn't really anything in terms of a "package" for larger tanks, added weight on your floor, more space in your house being taken up by this tank, etc. Equipment is much more expensive as well. You need to buy the more high end lighting equipment because most bigger tanks are taller as well, meaning you're going to need more watts/gallon to keep some of the higher end corals too. The skimmer will need to be bigger/handle more, the list goes on.

I'm not trying to bash either one, heaven knows deep down I want a 400G tank someday, and at the same time, I'd love to keep a tank that's 9 Gallons or less. This hobby is so fascinating because of the challenges that we as reefers have to deal with. Things like mixing and dosing chemicals to add, setting up the Live Rock just the way we want it, picking and obtaining the fish that we want, battling disease, changing water, and much much more, it's never ending. But, in the end, there is absolutely nothing like sitting down in front of your tank at the end of your day, and just watching the little bucket of the ocean you have created.

Laurent,

I just bought the Red Sea Max myself. I have a 24 that I set up at the begging of this year, but decided to add another small one to the mix. Since I'm a student and hopefully will be moving here in a couple years I'm staying away from bigger tanks (do I have a 75 in storage for when that move happens, yes :lol:). Anyway...

I set up the Red Sea Max a few weeks ago, and I have to say that once you get over firguring out all the cords and everything it is so much nice then the 24 that I own.

My advice? I got a couple of Blue-Green Chromis (I think they are really cute, small, cheap, and they actually all eat out of my hand) to start the cycle of the tank. I'm going to warn you that it looks AWFUL during the cycle. I had freshwater in the past and I'm use to algea, but then going and buying a sucker fish and then it's all happy and fine. With Saltwater the bloom is HUGE (can't miss it I promise). With my first one I was running to every pet store trying to figure out what will eat it, talk about frantic. But adding snails and such will help. Also make sure that the skimmer is working, that will help collect some of the Algea. you might have to adjust the white nob on the air intake value to get it to really foam. Feel free to PM if you would like to talk about the Max or my (begining) experiences.

Best of Luck!
Ash

As for successfully being able to keep reef tank with only 30g or water. Shouldn't be a problem there's a lot of folks up here with Nano cubes that are having great success. The tanks themselves are a little different the one you have but as for size some are even smaller. The biggest thing I think with the smaller tanks is the importance of keeping up with the water changes. As FYI I started out on a 29g for my starter tank and had no problems coming from a similar background of having Fresh Water tanks.

Back